Trio of Pekins visiting during day - leave at night.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suzpyoung, Jul 31, 2010.

1. suzpyoung

suzpyoung Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Temperance, MI
    About 10 days ago a trio of adorable Pekins showed up on my property early in the a.m., and initially I thought someone had "dumped" their grown up Easter ducks on me. They spent the first night in some brush in my backyard, but now they come every other day - to the same spot in my yard - but leave promptly at 9:00 p.m. I purchased a bag of duck feed and they usually devour two large bowls of it throughout their daily stay. I decided to follow them last night. I live on a busy street, and they crossed TWO streets and walked about 1/4 mile to a cemetery (I didn't even know it was there!) behind a church just down the street from me, that has a very nice little pond that they marched directly to. They have a beautiful setting there, but the trip to my house is dangerous as I saw some brat teenagers swerve to hit them when I was following the ducks. How can I get them to stay with me? I don't have any experience with ducks and don't know what kind of "house" they'd like. I'm willing to fence off a large area with a kiddie pool, but I want them to be happy. I don't know why they showed up at my house in the first place, but now I think they come back to eat. Any advice would be very appreciated!

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww, I love Pekins, they are soooo cute! You might ask around to be sure they don't belong to anyone in the neighborhood since they are coming around everyother day. Then just be ready w/ a place to pen them in one day when they get there. Intice them in w/treats like peas and have your kiddie pool set up so they have some nice "bath" water right there. Since they can't fly you won't have to worry about them getting out once you have them in. They may be upset for a day or so once you've penned them in but will adjust quickly when they realize they have swimming water, plenty of food, shade and comfort. Pekins are sweet and domestic.... shouldn't have too much trouble readjusting to your place. Good Luck!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Probably belong to someone in the neighborhood who may not be caring for them. They come to your place for "eats" and then go "home" to sleep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by