1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trio of young Light Sussex Heritage chickens.......a couple questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabby3535, Dec 2, 2008.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

In the spring I will be getting a trio of Light Sussex from a breeder in Florida (www.greenfirefarm.com, if you want to'check them out!!).............he usually ships them (overnight) when they are 6 to 8 weeks old..........Feb or March '09.
    He does NOT vaccinate for Mareks or Coccidia...............says he has a closed flock and has never had a problem with either.
    The remainder of my flock will be purchased from (probably) MyPetChicken......as they will sell as few as 8 day-old chicks to
    my area......................their chicks 'are' vaccinated.
    So my question is this........................in Feb or March I will get 3 Light Sussex who are approx 6-8 weeks old, un-vaccinated, but
    probably coop-ready.............
    Around the same time, I will be getting 8 day-old chicks, which I will have in a brooder until 'they' are 6-8 weeks old!
    Can I then put vaccinated chics 'with' the un-vaccinated Sussex, in the coop and run..........................????
    Can I feed the un-vaccinated Sussex coccidia medicated feed at 6-8 weeks, when I receive them..........or would they be too old
    for it at that point??? (I would stop the medicated feed to the Sussex, when I add in the now old-enough, day-old chicks.)
    What to do in my upcoming situation please??
    Thanks for any suggestions..............................

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I read this yesterday and do not have an answer, so I am hoping someone else will see this near the top and help you....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by