Trio of young Light Sussex Heritage chickens.......a couple questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabby3535, Dec 2, 2008.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

In the spring I will be getting a trio of Light Sussex from a breeder in Florida (www.greenfirefarm.com, if you want to'check them out!!).............he usually ships them (overnight) when they are 6 to 8 weeks old..........Feb or March '09.
    He does NOT vaccinate for Mareks or Coccidia...............says he has a closed flock and has never had a problem with either.
    The remainder of my flock will be purchased from (probably) MyPetChicken......as they will sell as few as 8 day-old chicks to
    my area......................their chicks 'are' vaccinated.
    So my question is this........................in Feb or March I will get 3 Light Sussex who are approx 6-8 weeks old, un-vaccinated, but
    probably coop-ready.............
    Around the same time, I will be getting 8 day-old chicks, which I will have in a brooder until 'they' are 6-8 weeks old!
    Can I then put vaccinated chics 'with' the un-vaccinated Sussex, in the coop and run..........................????
    Can I feed the un-vaccinated Sussex coccidia medicated feed at 6-8 weeks, when I receive them..........or would they be too old
    for it at that point??? (I would stop the medicated feed to the Sussex, when I add in the now old-enough, day-old chicks.)
    What to do in my upcoming situation please??
    Thanks for any suggestions..............................

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I read this yesterday and do not have an answer, so I am hoping someone else will see this near the top and help you....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by