trip to Cancun, Mexico...passport info?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mandapanda3186, May 18, 2011.

1. mandapanda3186

mandapanda3186 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    Dh has decided to go to cancun for our anniversary. In 2 weeks. He's already got th trip planned and whatnot. We would leave the 8th in the am. Soooo what about a passport? How long does it take to get them? Kind of a big deal, right? Do I go to sec of state? Thanks in advance!

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    It takes awhile to get a passport...better hurry
    go to post office

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    takes about 6 weeks.
    you might be able to do express its, expensive.

I know this because i work for a major airline.
    please check in 60 minutes before your flight.
    [​IMG]

have fun!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Check the US Dept of State website. They have information about getting a passport in a hurry. Living in Virginia, we can make an appointment with the State Dept in DC to get an expedited passport. I would imagine there's a similar option for folks who don't live within driving distance of DC.

5. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I doubt you can get your passport that quickly, it does take some time. If you're working with a travel agent they may be able to help expedite the process.

US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico do not require passports (just FYI)

I love Mexico, especially the playa del carmen area - I wanted to go to the Now Jade this year, but its just not in the cards

Good luck!!

6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    There are companies that can expedite the process, but they are expensive.

In 2004 we returned to Guadalajara to visit family. My wife is a real cheap skate; she refused to pay for passports. Guess what, if you knew the movida you could get into Mexico without without a passport.

Unfortunately, getting back into the US is a different thing.

As soon as we got home, we gladly spent the money for the passports. Now you need the passports for sure. Also, you need to visit the Mexican Consulate and secure your permiso to enter the country.

If you are driving, apply for your auto permit at the same time. Also, be sure and purchase Mexican auto insurance. USA and Canadian insurance are not valid in Mexico.

If minor children will accompany you, make sure you have their papers in order. Problems seem to arise with step children and those whose relationship to you are not readily apparent.

Some people seem to come under more scrutiny than others. It is easier for Anglos than Latinos.

Good luck, and have fun.

Rufus

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Passports did not USE to be required for travel to and from Mexico. That has CHANGED. You can get expedited passports, but as has been said, the fees are pretty high. There is (or at least there was a year ago) a card specifically for travel to and from Mexico ONLY that was less expensive than a full passport; I don;t recall if you could or could not get it expedited.

8. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

It only took me about 10 days to get my passport. Went to drug store and had photo taken then went to post office and done the paper work. (FYI- some PO's do not have camera's to take passport photo's, so go prepared.) As long as the government is not backed up, you can recieve it in 10-14 days. Ususally the PO can tell you if they are on schedule or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by