Trip to the auction and my flock~

Kitei

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
I'll get some pictures of my new birdies tomorrow, if possible :D

It was my 20th on Tuesday, and I chose to go to the weekly poultry auction on monday as an outing, as 20-year-olds generally do.
Me and my mother share our flock - we put in pretty much equal work, and I love to work out the genetic side with the ducks, and we both buy birds in.

Our current flock (well, before the auction) was made up of 2 welsummer bantam pullets, 2 Leghorn hens, a very old (almost 4) year old Amber Star hen, a pair of blue runners, pair of cinnamon runners, a white runner duck and a khaki campbell duck, as well at 12 Japanese quail in various colours, and my two trios of Chinese quail.

That water was fresh 5 minutes before I took the photos!

But yes, we went to the auction on monday and I came home with 8 D'anver banties (£5 a bird - I thought that was a pretty good price!). I'm not entirely sure what colour the rooster is and will be updating with pictures hopefully tomorrow (Sold as quail, but he's blue/gold and quail boys seem to be black/brown and gold?), but the hen is a quail and the 6 pullets I bought seperately are black.
We also picked up a couple of pekins (buff-type and a brown one, not dark enough to be chocolate really) for £3 each, and also picked up a couple of ex free-range hybrids, which we thought would tide us over until our birds start laying. Our old hybrid is slowing down now (no surprise, she's done amazingly for a hybrid hen), and the majority of our birds are fresh this year and are either POL or not yet there.

I'll try to get photos of the new hens tomorrow, but for now, I hope you enjoy looking at our other birds!

Ooh, I wanna go to an auction so baaaaaaad! My parents disagree. They think we have too many chickens.
sad.png
Post pics soon!

Sounds like a very productive auction.
thumbsup.gif
I would love to go to one but, my parents also disagree.
tongue.png

Can't wait to see the pictures!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Ordinarily we only go if we're after a hybird or two, because we tend to come back with a ton of birds each time. XD We had a coop with long become free recently, though, so we decided we did have room if we wanted some more. They're very fun. :D

Got some pictures but not added them to the computer yet - will try to get that done soon :D

Back
Top Bottom