Trip to Tractor Supply: what to get? UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Floc Quebecois, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Here we are! Almost Christmas and my only wish list is full of supplies to help me take care of my girls...

I live in Canada. Beautiful country, nice peeps, sweet weather (although it doesn't make it easy on chickens keepers!)... but here's where it stinks: all meds, from antibiotics to wormers, have to be bought through a vet (which also needs to actually "see" an animal to prescribe the meds)!

Since a friend of mine is going to visit his family for Christmas in MA, I asked him to stop by a Tractor Supply and get me all I could need... YAY!!!! [​IMG]

And here's where I need you guys: what should I get? [​IMG]

I just want to be prepared in case I need a little something to help my girls recover without having the hassle of shipping and the time running too fast...

So! Experienced chickens owners! What do you guys always have on hand? And also, what are the used for it?

Thanks so much!

And Happy Holidays to all of BYCers!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    can you cross into Canada with meds? or would that be like bootleggin' booze?

3. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:Oopsie...

I guess we are about to find out! [​IMG]

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    on the 10 o'clock edition...border officials bust a ring of medicine smugglers that apparently have been using a chicken board for communication

[​IMG]

I would get LA200 and ivomectin for worming and dang...way too many cokes today what was I talking about

5. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Hmmm let me look in my chicken cabinet.

Tylan 50 injectable (antibiotic)
    duramycin 10 powder packet (antibiotic water soluble)
    corid (to treat coccidia)
    wazine (dewormer)
    ivermectin 5% pour on (dewormer in the cattle section) good for mites and some worms
    Maybe some water soluble vitamins like chick saver?

Hope that helps. And wow! I just did inventory...I have more meds to treat them than I do us humans

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Agree on all except the wazine........safe guard for goats(not the paste) 3 cc per gal of water for 3 days repeat in 10 to 14 days

7. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Quote:Agree on all except the wazine........safe guard for goats(not the paste) 3 cc per gal of water for 3 days repeat in 10 to 14 days

Oh I forgot they carried the safeguard! I was trying to think of things that where available at TSC. I agree, forget the wazine. The best would be valbazen, but they don't carry it.

8. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    OK, hope you have a big blank check.

Corrid
    L-S50 (this is much cheaper at our Southern States) not even sure TSC has it
    SafeGuard
    Ivemectin
    Electrolytes unless you can get those at home
    Tylan
    Tylan
    oh and Tylan
    Sulmet (liquid)
    Eye antibiotic ointment or spray.

Go to Jeffers web site and get exacts. I am guessing they won't ship it to you will they? So sorry, that is crazy that you have to see a vet. That just makes so many animals NOT get treatment, who can afford to take a chicken to the vet every time one gets an ailment or injured? Guess you guys have to breed bullet proof birds.

Make sure your friend shops for the longest 'best-buy' dates.

10. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Ok... Yep, looks like it's gonna be a big blank cheque! Surely seems worse since we have to buy all at once in order to "be prepared"! But it's all worth it!

I still have a few questions though:

corrid... which one? there's like 3 different kinds on Jeffreys but only one at TSC (20% Powder)!
    what is sulmet for again? TSC seems to only have the 5 Gram Oblets...
    L-S50??? What is it? can't find it at Tractor Supply...

and which eye antibiotic ointment or spray would you recommend?

and syringes! i need to buy them there too! which ones would be good for all products (I'm not even sure I can buy syringes at the drugstore here...)

and would Safeguard for goat be as effective as Safeguard for horse in case of gapeworms?

Guys, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by