Trip to Yellowstone

OutInTheStiks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Thorn Hill, TN
I'm seeking input from everyone I can think of on this one, so now its BYC's turn. We are considering/planning a trip to Yellowstone this upcoming spring. We are currently looking at the last week of May/ first week of June.

I am seeking input from anyone who has been there.

1. What was your favorite thing?

2. What is on your list of must see's?

3. What was your least favorite thing?

4. What do you wish you had known before you went?

5. If you could redo your trip, what would you have done differently?

6. What should you have packed that you didn't? (not something you forgot, something you didn't know you would need/want)

Thanks for any/all input!

I was there in July 2009 - GREAT vacation.

1. What was your favorite thing? Ummm...so many. Loved the geysers and mud holes. Saw lots of wildlife. Probably the best experience was DD spotting a Grizzly just about to cross the road. We stopped to watch and were the only ones there (normally in Yellowstone there is a huge line of cars backed up at any wildlife sighting but we were the first to see this one). We got to watch as he/she slowly grazed the grass at the verge, then ambled across the road right in front of our vehicle, before disappearing down the embankment on the other side.

2. What is on your list of must see's? Old Faithful. The mud flats/bowls. Wish I could remember the names of some of the interesting sites now but if you follow the circuit in either direction, you can't miss most of them.

3. What was your least favorite thing? Crowds of people. Particularly when there is a wildlife sighting (see above).

4. What do you wish you had known before you went? How much wildlife we could expect to see. On the other hand, going with no expectations means every sighting is a bonus.

5. If you could redo your trip, what would you have done differently? Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. We had a great time.

Lucky You to get to go to Yellowstone!! You will have such a great time.

Personally, I loved all the mud pots, geysers, etc. The absolutely beautiful wildlife were wonderful to see "in the wild."

We were fortunate to see the "Beehive" geyser go off right before "Old Faithful" did. I found out the "Beehive" is unpredictable so we felt lucky to see it.
smile.png
Both are in the same area.

The only thing that I regret is that my husband drove. After the first day, he had us drive almost all night through the entire park so we could see the museum in Cody. (This museum was interesting, but not as interesting as Yellowstone & was not the reason I brought my three children to Yellowstone.) It was dark the whole way, the park ranger warned us not to as it could have been very dangerous, and, of course, we missed all the beauty along the way & we were dead tired. This is not a good idea. If I ever go again, I believe I will take the kids myself.
big_smile.png

BTW, I would bring lots of snacks/drinks in the car.

I wish I could have stayed longer. It is so worth the trip from SC to Yellowstone~~even if the plane landing in Jackson Hole shook so much it felt like it was going to fall apart! Seeing the Grand Tetons when walking out of the plane made up for it though.
smile.png

Have Fun!!

Last edited:
Watching "Old Faithful" go off was really nice, seeing the animals was nice too......especially the Eagle nest on the way out. It was way too crowded for me.

I was much more excited about the Grand Canyon. I wouldn't mind going back to GC again. It was truly one of the eight wonders of the world.

Its been years since I was there.

The most surprising thing about that time of year is how cold it gets at night. Expect frost, and dress and pack accordingly. We were very cold, with frost inside the tent in the first week of June.

Once you get out on some of the trails, the crowds are not there.

I want to take my kids in the next couple of years.

Thanks for the input! We are currently planning on flying into Denver and taking our time driving to Yellowstone and then repeating the process on our way back. It will cut down on costs a bit and let us see more country.

Quote:
Bring good shoe or boots, you will be walking alot! Bring a coat if you are going in May, we still have freezing temps here at that time of the year. There may also be snow, so be prepared.
Don't get to close to the wildlife, they are not pets and they are not tame.....DO NOT FEED the wildlife. Be sure to allow plenty of time, as there are so many things to see.
When you are driving through the park, if there are cars on the side of the road stop, there is probably elk, bear, moose , buffalo, or something else to see! Go the entire loop through the park, there are awesome springs allong Yellowstone Lake.
Bring your camera.
Also, the price you pay to get into Yellowstone is good for Teton Park as well, go on down to Jackson Hole on the way back to Denver, the Views are breath taking. I believe the fee for the parks are good for one week.

As mentioned also go see Grand Teton since you will be close by. You will need at least three days for Yellowstone, maybe more. I've been there twice, loved it in October, hardly any people there. It will be very crowded when you go, keep that in mind. Camp sites were very hard to find when I went in the late 1980's. I loved the soda buttes and colorful boiling water holes.

Our current plan brings us into Denver on a Friday and flies us back out on the following Saturday. That gives us Friday to make our way to the park and then Saturday-Thursday for the park and anything else we want to do. Then drive back to Denver on Friday.

Check on the parks schedule, they open late.

If you have a gun person in the family go out the north entrance to Cody Wy, go to the Cody museum.

Jackson and the Tetons are great, go to Billy's Hambugers on the town square. Jackson, great.

PM me and I'll send some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom