1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Triple yolked egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by almondjoy1972, Aug 5, 2012.

1. almondjoy1972

almondjoy1972 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    I just had to post this...yesterday I collected an egg that was 3 times the size of what I have been collecting. I didn't really think much about it and then this morning I cracked the egg for breakfast and WOWZER!!! 3 yolks!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I didn't take a pic of the egg before I cracked it, but here is a pic of the surprise that was waiting for me......[​IMG]

2. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    Cool! I got a giant egg the other day but I haven't cracked it yet. I'm pretty sure it's only a double yolker though.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Wow, well done! This is only the 3rd one I've heard of now.

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I've heard of a double yolker but never a triple yolker! I take it this particular hen had a few days off prior to laying this one?! and they just built up? how and why do they happen?

5. almondjoy1972

almondjoy1972 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    I had never heard of triple yolkers either! I'm not sure which hen laid the egg as I have 9 laying! I did some research and this is one of the articles I found:
    Double-yolk eggs

Double-yolk eggs occur when ovulation occurs too rapidly, or when one yolk becomes joined with another yolk. These eggs may be the result of a young hen's reproductive cycle not yet being synchronized.[6] Some hybrid breeds of hens also produce double-yolk eggs by default. Such eggs are produced in India. Eastern states known for that are West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh.
    Some hens will rarely lay double-yolked eggs as the result of unsynchronized production cycles. Although heredity causes some hens to have a higher propensity to lay double-yolked eggs, these occur more frequently as occasional abnormalities in young hens beginning to lay.[citation needed] Usually, a double-yolked egg will be longer and thinner than an ordinary single-yolk egg. Double-yolked eggs usually only lead to observed successful hatchlings under human intervention, as the chickens interfere with each other's hatching process and die.[7]
    Rarely, higher-order yolks occur.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by