Tropical chicken owners please - what about ginger leaves???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gullygarden, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    My yard has a lot of flowering white ginger in it. I generally am trying to get rid of it, so sometimes its in the compost heap where the chickens hang out. My old hens never bothered with it, but my new 9 week old group are eating it. Anybody know if this is ok? they are eating young shoots. Hey, maybe we can eat those too? Anybody??

I guess there aren't going to be serious problems. They've eaten them for several days now along with free ranging on grass and other stuff. Hope I'm right!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. Gullygarden

Jul 2, 2011
    Am I really the only one on this forum that has decorative ginger in my yard?
    :-(

3. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Nah, I've got some salmon flowered ginger. My girls don't seem interested in it.

4. Gullygarden

Jul 2, 2011
    mine are still shredding the new shoots.

5. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    When my pullets were younger and curious, they would jump up and down and shred the lower hanging leaves of my ginger plants. I am not sure if they were actually eating it or just having fun playing with the leaves. We have a lot of tropical plants in our yard that were already here when we moved in. I wish that I could be of more help, but I am not very knowledgeable about plants. I haven't really seen my girls eating the plants. They seem more interested in scratching in the dirt. We haven't had any ill effects yet, my girls seem happy and healthy. [​IMG]

6. Gullygarden

Jul 2, 2011
    Thanks. I know mine were actually eating the shoots. So far they are fine, but there is some unusually runny poo, so I will try probably try to get the shoots out of the run. They have plenty else to eat!

7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Hot weather and lots of drinking will also cause runny poop....

8. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I usually check Florida Department of Agriculture site when I have plant concerns. You should verify the species of plant you have by comparing photos, etc online. I had a species of ginger that my horse ate without any problems (except that it made me unhappy) and most ginger plants are edible.

9. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

i never heard of ginger being poisonous. my chickens have pretty much eaten everything in my yard. i have ginger but it's around my pond and they don't seem to notice it. they'd rather be digging for bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by