Tropical fruit plants anyone?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by bluenkimchi, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Hi, I wanted to see if there are any people out there that grows tropical fruit plants as a hobby besides raising poultry. Example mangoes, lychee, papaya, avacado,blood orange etc.. and if possible please post up pictures, so everyone can see.

Thanks
    Seng

2. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I am trying to grow Pomegrants ,Papaya , Avacado from seeds right now ? more for indoor's then out side due to our climate ? So far the Pomegrants are up ( about ten plants ) and it looks like the Papaya is starting to show signs of wanting to sprout as well .No pictures ......sorry .Not sure if you are interested in indoor plants or outdoors only ?

3. bluenkimchi

Sep 13, 2012
    Indoors/outdoors is all welcome. Pictures is a nice addition, but not necessary [​IMG] Just cause you're up in the frozen north don't limit your self to only those things. If you can get cuttings from some one or somewhere, Pom can easily be propagated from limb cuttings similar to figs. Growing from seed is fun to watch them grow and develop to adult hood like watching your children grow[​IMG], but can take a while longer like 3-5 years to fruiting stage. Cuttings is faster(2-3) years or even sooner. Since you're in Canada have you consider getting a dwarf pom, which only grows about 3' and is very prolific and can be containerize indoors? Papaya is also a good pot plant grown from seeds, but they can get huge. There is some very small dwarf variety that you can get to fruit in pots for you that stays in the 3'-4' range. One variety that comes to mind is the T R Hovey. Avocado makes a nice house plant but can get very tall and leggy if you don't prune when young. When it's about 2' or 3' you can cut it in half to encourage more branch to come out making it a more bushy type rather than a tall leggy tree type. I'm also a member at the garden web site and I love lurking thru the tropical fruit forum. I've come across post where many people up north( including Canada, Ohio, Pennsivinia,New York, to name a few) are able to grow lots of different tropical fruit plants. Some of them even mange to grow a grafted mango and get fruits. He said it tasted 10x sweeter and better than any old store bought mango. I know, why don't you try growing figs, they aren't technically tropical more sub tropical, but the foilage is very nice, big and dark green. Makes a nice container house plant plus gives you honey to sweet berry( depends on what kind you have) tasting flavor fruits and some times 2 crops a year again depend on what kind.

Back to topic, there have got to be more people that have tropical fruit plants esp the Florida, Southern Cali and any other southern/western state people. Any ways post PICS and more Pics people, if you have any! [​IMG]

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Mmmm... pomegranates!! Good luck when you turn the avocados loose outside, they dont do well in cold weather at all [​IMG]

5. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    ...I'll only put them out in the summer in a hot house for sure . So far I only have the store bought seeds ? I wish I could get some of the smaller varieties as was mentioned ? But it's hard to know what type of tree they came from in the fruit section of the store :) .It will be interesting for sure though to see them growing to maturity ,and who knows ? maybe a bit of fruit in the future would be nice .Fig's ? never tried a fig ?? will have to look that up and see what I have to look for ! Thanks

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  7. bluenkimchi

Sep 13, 2012
    Cold Canadian
    I saw a lot of the dwarf pom on listed on ebay check them out.

8. ljseabreeze

ljseabreeze Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    We have an orchard of rare/exotic fruit in the city, no fence and 20 free range chickens. Started planting 20+ years ago. We have lychee, mango, pomegranate, surnam cherry, cheramoya, rose apple, guavas, avocado, bananas, atemoya, allspice, citrus, stone fruits and many many other fruits. I am new to BYC so I can't post pictures yet???

9. bluenkimchi

Sep 13, 2012
    ljseabreeze-
    Which state are you from Fl? That's a lot of varieties of tropical fruit you have there. Must be nice to just walk into your yard and pick some fresh tropical fruits. I would love to see pictures when ever you can post it. Mmmmm would love me some fresh lychee and mango right now. Which type of lychee and mango do you grow if you know their cultivar name?

10. ljseabreeze

ljseabreeze Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    We are in San Diego, most mornings I head out to work in the yard and grab breakfast from a tree. Not sure which Lychees we have 2 different cultivars. 5 or 6 types of Mango but only 1 or 2 gives good fruit. We are coastal and not enough heat for some fruit to be sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by