Tropical storm-soaked to the bone

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chilling in muscadine, Aug 25, 2008.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    [​IMG] Anybody else been wet for the last two day's???? It's been a mess. First before the storm hit I spent extra time preparing my coop's for the storm. Then I worried myself sick while we were getting pounded that I hadn't done a good enough job. While we were getting pounded by the storm I had babies hatching and the power kept threatening to go out and I had wet babies in the hatcher. So then I worried myself sick over this.
    The next day I did my chicken duties with rain just pouring off my head and I was working with one arm because I'm nurseing a dog bite on the other. Thought about an umbrella but I couldn't hold it. I have 45 babies in the house I brought back in to wait out the storm. Of course they have grown so I had to hustle them up a brooder to stay in for the night. This didn't hurt there feeling's at all. And today I got soaked again but we all made it. All my coop's stayed nice and dry. So here I am soaking wet looking in at my dry chicken's and there they are looking out at me soaking wet. lol What we all do for bird's. But come to think about it "what else would I do with my time." PEACE

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    yeah. it was pretty bad here, was at one point without power for about 13 hours. and my poor poor little bantam rooster came out of the storm looking like a wet rat. all good today though,

what surprised me was the storm was worse before it even got here [​IMG] , when it was right over us... just rain.. wind has been gone pretty much

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I was getting ready to make a thread like this when I came across your's.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I hate rainy weather. Lord I know we needed it, but not this much. I have all my babies except the Barred Rocks in pet taxes and brooder boxes trying to keep them dry. My poor little cochin's were just about swimming. So in the middle of all the rain I run outside and start loading them all up. Had a umbrella but couldn't hold it and herd chickens, so that didn't help. My little barred cochin roo, bless him, was in the hanging feeder trying to stay dry. I wonder if they make life jackets for chickens...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] cause my babies needed some. Everything is just nasty now. Nasty, muddy, yuky run's!! I am gonna have some major work to do after all this rain. Then you got another tropical storm brewing out there in the gulf..[​IMG] I am not a happy camper right now needless to say, but atleast my chickens are dry.

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Its wet here and all my pens are muddy. The chickens all have a dry place to get even if it is not large. They are fairing okay. Me I just keep trying not to slip into the muddy poop, holding on to the fence wire and post and tin as I make my way around the egdes to put food in the feeders, balancing the bucket in the hand not holding on for dear life mud threating to squish up over the edges of my shoes.. The smell is not the greatest but it will soon dry out again and look like it has been washed.

5. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    it rained here for 3 days straight but only got ~5.5 inches and it was very much needed.

6. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    its been raining here since thursday at least..yesterday was the worse..i have all my standard chickens freeranging since half of there pen is flooded..(it has to rain ALOT for many days for this to happen) just looked out the window and its finally drying up. The chickens are enjoying being out and eating all the lush green grass. My banty pen and biddie bungalow are high and dry thou..this is the part that sucks about the Bayou..my new places is much higher...The ducks however are having the TIME OF THIER LIVES!

7. Sherrie

Sherrie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    NC
    We now have Rain in NC.. I live in Lexington and just yesterday afternoon in 2 hours we had 4 inches of rain, I dumped the rain gage and went out this morning and dumped it again, altho it only had 1/2 inch in it from last night.. Weather people still say we are only going to get 2-4 inches all together out of this rain.. LOL go figure.. Sorry to everyone in Florida that got alot of rain.. And also everywhere else.. My chicks are doing well, altho I did move my silkies chicks in a rabbit cage so they arent in the mud which is what their pen is now..

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Well the sun is threatenig to come out. YEAH!!!!!!!! It will be the first time in almost two week's here. It's still cloudy out but ever few minutes there comes the sun. Hopefully it will come out long enough so I can take my 45 babies out to free range in there enclosure of course. I have mud everywhere but the coop's did good. All but one of my coop's has a tin roof covering the run. The one that doesn't have tin covering they have a huge coop area so I'm thinking they were not to miserable during the storm. It look's like my chicken's feathered {so to speak} the storm better than I did. I did the right thing bringing the babies in even though they are big enough to stay out because there temperary living quarter's didn't fare to well. I'll be working on fixing that problem today. Come of sun, I'll welcome you back. I actually miss the sun. Sock it to me baby. lol [​IMG]

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    It's raining here in central NC, what started out as a slow drizzle has now become much harder. We need the rain so I'm not really complaining.

10. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    We've had rain since Friday night. Last count we have had about 6" of rain asof about 6:00 last night and its pouring now. Someone came and got all my rooster yesterday and we were catching them in the rain, that was fun. [​IMG] I'm so tried of wet feet. My DD came for a visit this past weekend and it rained all weekend, so we didn't get to do much. At least we got to see her and of course our Granddog Shelby. I'm praying for sunshine, but from the forecast it's going to be awhile. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by