Tropical Storm tomorrow...close up the windows??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lovemyflock, Sep 5, 2008.

1. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    So tomorrow we are expected to get heavy rains with 40mph winds. Do you think I should shut the windows of the coop? I don't want them to be too hot, but dont want the pine shavings getting soaked either.

The high for tomorrow is supposed to be 83, so it's not incredibly hot. What do you think?

2. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I guess I am going to have the same situation to deal with tomorrow also.

I think I will have to keep the main window closed and hope enough air comes thru the pop doors. Maybe I can leave the big doors open a little somehow.

At least its supposed to move out of our area by Sunday!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I am in south Mississippi and dealt with Gustav last week. We had up to 60 mile and hour winds and 6-10 of rain. My coop only has wire sides and a tin roof until winter. My girls did just fine. In fact it is not unusual at all for us to have thuderstorms everyday with the same kind of conditions.

Good luck with the storm! [​IMG]

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    We already have the rains here today, moderate so far and minimal winds so far. We are inland 70 miles from the coast. Wishing everyone in the hurricane's path the best. I was at the grocery store earlier and they were carting ALL the frozen foods in the store out back to a couple of freezer trucks "just in case" they said. I bought the obligatory milk, bread, bottled water and lunch meat that everyone rushes out to buy in hurricane weather. Often, within an hour or so after the media talks about "stocking" up, the milk and bread are wiped out of the stores here...anyway, hope everyone is safe, we'll be fine this far inland but our forum members actually on the coast should be battening down the hatches. [​IMG]

5. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    They upgraded our tropical storm watch to a warning. And are saying there is a possibility that it will be upgraded to a hurricaine. It started raining about an hour ago.
    ugh, I just came in from trying to cover the little chickens run with a tarp. Its a 2 person job, and I'm only 1 person, but hopefully it'll hold. I'm soaked to the skin. All the little ones were standing around in the rain watching me.
    I'm not going to cover the window in the big chickens coop unless it becomes totally necessary. It's still warm out and their "porch" hangs over the window , so rain shouldn't get in unless it blows totally sideways.
    The little ones are in the shed. The shed door has a "window", and I won't cover that over unless necessary also, otherwise it may get too stuffy in there.
    I'm just glad tomorrow is Saturday, so I can just take a wait and see type attitude because I wont be at work.
    I do have a feeling they will all be cozy and warm, and I'll be out there in high winds and rain getting soaked and cold making sure they are ok.
    I dunno how I got suckered in to this. I don't like chickens!! [​IMG]

6. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    it is hitting us head on in sc yes we got the shaft

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by