1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trouble after lockdown!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Aliciahess, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Aliciahess

Aliciahess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on here.
    I just recently hatched some ducklkngs. I have a little giant incubator, was able to keep temp at 99-100 with humidity at 60-67% after I locked down. Humidity was higher when ducks hatched. I only had about a third of the eggs hatch, all confirmed alive before lockdown. Would the hatched babies affect my success rate by knocking the other eggs around too much? Any suggestions to get a better hatch rate?
    Thanks,
    Alicia

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Hi Alicia,
    I've suspected this to be the case. In my last batch, I had 6 eggs, in a semi circle. If we were to number them clockwise (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) 3 and 6 hatched first. 5 was malpositioned and pipped from the wrong end and 4 died in the shell. Those two got knocked around A LOT while 3 and 6 were hatching, then more after they hatched and they were climbing around the incubator.

I don't have a solution, but I don't think you're off base. Not all of your deaths may be attributed to hatchlings moving the eggs around, but I don't think it's un-reasonable to think that it may play a role in some decrease in hatch rate.

3. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I should add, that correlation =/= causation.

That said, I am fastidious about data and notes, and maybe I can improve my own hatch rates by keeping track of this stuff.

4. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    I have wondered about setting the eggs in a cut down egg carton to maybe stop some of the movement. Any experience in that? Any other suggestions to get a better hatch rate?

5. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Well, I think the trouble here is that if the duckling is trying to get out of the egg, you want the egg to be able move.

6. carla9383

carla9383 New Egg

Jun 6, 2015
    I just started incubating as well. I have confirmed the chicks are alive and kicking before lockdown begins. I have had 2 batches, on the second batch i opened an egg and the chicks are dead. Can someone help me. I dont know what i am doing wrong for the babies to die.

7. Aliciahess

Aug 11, 2014
    Vancouver, WA
    What are your temp and humidity rates? I have been looking around for suggested levels and tried them. Im hoping someone will have a special trick or suggestion i havrnt seen or tried.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by