trouble candling/determining fertility

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StitchMyStars6, Nov 20, 2013.

1. StitchMyStars6

StitchMyStars6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    I'm sorta new at this "duck" stuff lol. I'm having trouble candling my Pekin duck eggs. I'm using a tiny yet powerful flashlight (like one of those mechanics lights) and it's hard to tell if it's fertile or just yolk... I have 6 eggs so far that my Pekin has laid every morning (I'm not sure which out of my two females it is), but she doesn't sit on them, so I have placed them in my little giant still air incubator at a temp of 99.5-100.0. I'm wondering what the chances are of having fertile/infertile eggs? I also have a crested male, which I'd imagine (with all the "fooling around" he does with the ladies in the pool) that the eggs may possibly be fertile. Is there anything else I can do or do differently? I'm hoping that at least one of these babies is fertile!!! ^_^[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Have you seen the Sticky on Hatching Waterfowl? That has loads of information. And there is the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day Is Today. Very helpful people there.

[​IMG]

3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    You usually have to incubate for a week or so before you can tell if the eggs are fertile. After a week in the incubator, you should start to see blood vessels and possibly the embryo when you candle. Your flashlight may be bright enough if you are candling in a very dark room. Duck eggshells are thicker, and they can be harder to see through than white shelled chicken eggs. I use a flashlight sometimes, but I also have a candling box with a 100 watt light bulb for a better look.

4. StitchMyStars6

StitchMyStars6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    middle river, md
    thank you for the help I'm going to keep a better eye on them. we're up to 8 eggs so far. ^_^

5. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago

Great! Good luck with the hatch! Let us know how it goes. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by