1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Trouble deciding on bedding for brooder! Sand vs Shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WyattNorthcut, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Sand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Shaving

100.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WyattNorthcut

WyattNorthcut Hatching

Aug 7, 2018
    Dallas Tx
    I have 16 chicks (which hatched the 13th) arriving today or tomorrow and I don't know what kind of bedding to put in the brooder. I think I am going to lay down paper towels on top of the bedding regardless of the type of bedding for the first few days just so that the chicks will know to eat the food and not the floor. But I've read many articles about the amazing benefits of sand and many articles about how sand is an evil chicken killer that shouldn't be used. Any opinions?

4 ever Orpington likes this.
  2. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Crowing

Nov 19, 2016
    Huntington, Indiana
    First and foremost...:welcome!
    I hope that you enjoy this site as much as the rest of us do! I have learned SOOOOO much from this site, and I hope you do too!:love
    Me personally, I love pine shavings! I purchase the fine, no dust shavings, and they're great for both chicks and adult hens. I raise my show chickens in it as well.:D
    Although I'm not anti sand, I don't prefer using it because my feed looks like sand, and they tend to eat it! It also gets pretty cold here, and if it was wet even a little bit it would freeze and be hard to scrape out! It also tends to smell more, and isn't as absorbent as pine shavings. Hope this helps!!
    Good luck:thumbsup

WyattNorthcut likes this.
  3. BirdGirl2004

BirdGirl2004 Crowing

Nov 19, 2016
    Huntington, Indiana
    Post some pics of your new chicks... I'm sure we'd all LOVE to see them, and new chicks are SOOOOOO much fun!!!:love:love:love:celebrate:celebrate

WyattNorthcut likes this.
  4. WyattNorthcut

WyattNorthcut Hatching

Aug 7, 2018
    Dallas Tx
    Thanks for the bedding input! And I will definitely post some good chick pics once they get here hopefully today or tomorrow, I can't wait!

4 ever Orpington likes this.
  5. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington Premium Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :celebrate:celebrate:welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: