Trouble geese can get in... (5gallon buckets)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Clodhoppers, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Clodhoppers

Clodhoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    Western Washington
    The gander seems o.k., not sure how he got on top and into the 5 gallon water bucket with one leg hanging out. Actually, it was the leg in the odd position that was most noticeable from a distance and made me run to investigate. Oh, his head was in the air...

Granted that particular bucket was in a 2 or 3 inch depression in the ground, I actually figured to make it easier for the geese to dunk their heads in deeper.

Now I have to figure out how to keep a goose out of a 5 gallon bucket!?! The geese do have a kiddie pool.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a 5 gal heated bucket for my geese and to keep them and the ducks out of it I place a scrap board over half and a large heavy rock over the board to keep it in place, they can get their heads in with out any problem but can't climb inside ands use it as a hot tub. The board is 6" wide.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Clodhoppers

Apr 7, 2013
    Western Washington
    oh that's a great idea, Miss Lydia, thanks! Was I worried at first the gander could be stuck head down in the bucket... he might have mated next to the bucket and had some elevation advantage. Gets really rowdy around here during some of the matings, it's their first season.

We finished the third stretch of permanent fencing. So one side is along a busier road. Entertainment for everybody! Today I saw the mailman stop his car to talk to the geese...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Everyone loves geese as long as they are inside a fence. lol. I haven't seen any mating from my 2 yet. last year they were already mating, maybe the frigid weather we are having. I've seen my gander step into buckets quite often he never pays any attention to where he's going. But no mating along side of one [YET] glad he didn't get stuck upside down.

5. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Good idea, MLyd!!
    And I see the same thing with our geese here....our property runs alongside a dirt road, which serves a few houses here, and goes off for miles until it meets up with an asphalt road that leads to a big town some distance away..so, the traffic isn´t heavy, but we get a bit. And people slow right down in their cars to look at the geese. Some who are walking stop and chat to them, so funny. They´re a lovely sight, aren´t they?

6. Clodhoppers

Apr 7, 2013
    Western Washington
    Yep, funny they are, if they are not sleeping, grazing, bathing, or mating, they all stand at the new fence staring down the road, waiting for a car or who knows what.

This morning all the geese were so busy, they totally ignored me entering their territory to put down grains at a few places. That's a first! Wonder when the nest building will start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by