Trouble Hatching Duck Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tonini3059, Jan 17, 2009.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    We candled the eggs up to 3 days before hatching and noticed movement, but the next day we candled we did not notice any movement at all. We let it go until a day after it was supposed to hatch then opened it. The embryo was dead. It was fully formed but had not absorb the yolk sack. The membrane appeared to be dry, but I am not sure if it was because it had died. But it never attempted to pip the eggs or anything else. What could have caused this? We have four more set to hatch in the next 2 days and would hate to lose them. Also the day before they hatch the air cell seems to get very large, bigger than any other time we candled.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Anybody have any suggestions??

3. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Sometimes that just happens. In my experience it happens because there was something wrong with the duckling genetically. Losing them right before they are due to hatch is actually not super uncommon. Disapointing yes, uncommon no. Your other eggs should be fine.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Here are some great websites about hatching calls, and how to help them hatch.

http://www.longshadowfarms.com/FAQ.html

http://www.phelpswaterfowl.com/Our_Call_Ducks.htm

Keep humidity during incubation 55-60% and raise to 70-80% when hatching. Cool eggs from days 4 until they pip the air sac for 5-10min a day and mist sometime during the cool down period.

Call ducks may need help hatching as they have short beaks and large round heads, accompanied with short necks, so sometimes they can only pip the air sac and cant get through the shell.

5. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I have tried that and my humidity is around 74%. It is just so frustrating one day they are doing fine in the egg and the next they are dead.

6. SundownWaterfowl

One time I was hatching eggs in my brinsea, and forgot that 1 egg was due, I woke up to see a little gray call walking around the incubator. Then the next day there was another perfectly fine call duck running around the incubator. Maybe try turning them for another day or two.

7. tonini3059

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Ok I will thanks. One that is due tomorrow has pipped so hopefully the other will soon .

8. SundownWaterfowl

That good news. If it doesnt make any progress within12-14 hours, I would help a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by