Trouble in chick paradise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hmarsh16, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hmarsh16

Hmarsh16 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    I'm new to this but, I'm desperate for some information and help. I have had one successful chick hatch and its doing really well, I've had two eggs explode in the incubator (which smelled terrible) and currently I have a chick that started to hatch but has appeared to have died and isn't peeping. Does anyone know why I could be having such tough luck?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, to start with---the exploding egg were probably because you did not candle and remove them/bad ones earlier. Exploding/bad eggs can cause problems just from the gasses they put off.

Now what type/name incubator are you using? What was your temp running through out the hatch? What was your humidity for the incubation and did you raise it for the hatch? Are you a hands-on-hatcher open the incubator when you want no mater whats happening inside or hands-off-hatcher--leave it closed no matter whats happening inside?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Anyone can get lucky once in a while and have a good hatch, but it takes more than just sticking eggs in a incubator to have good hatches---every hatch. You have to learn, what to do and what to not do. I know you can ask for help and get 20 different answers----I have read/seen post of people telling others how to hatch/incubate---then this person admit they have not hatched any yet---just read that info. If you want to have a good hatches, you need to start with a good teacher, a teacher that has very good hatches personally, not someone that got their info just from reading.

4. Hmarsh16

Hmarsh16 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017

5. Hmarsh16

Hmarsh16 New Egg

Apr 19, 2017
    Sorry, still figuring this out. I would consider myself more hands off, I only opened the incubator to candle and clean out the exploded eggs. Throughout the candle process the eggs didn't look bad, from the charts that I saw from Google. I had been keeping the humidity

I have a Miller little giant air circulator incubator and automatic turner. I've kept the humidity between 50-60 and turned it up to 80 on day 19 and I've kept the temp at 99.5 degrees. I've only opened the incubator to candle and to clean out the exploded eggs so, I'd consider myself more hands off. Throughout the candle process, the exploded eggs didn't look bad but, still could have been my mistake.

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yep, we need to help you a little with the candling maybe. About what day did the eggs explode?

Personally I would have a BAD hatch at 50 to 60% for the first 18 days.

Nothing wrong with opening the incubator every day for the first 18 days---that's during the incubation, The hatch is the last 3(after day 18) most call lock down---If you are a hands-of-hatcher you will not open after day 18 till all that are going to hatch--have hatched---not even open to add water-----water will be figured out how to add without opening.

A hands-on-hatcher kinda opens after day 18 if they choose to do so and as many times as they want..

Hasn't the Miller Little Giant got a built in meters? Did you go by them or get different meters?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by