1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trouble Killing Mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dgeter, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I've been dealing with mites on two of my chickens. I've cleaned out and treated the coop with D.E. and I've treated all the chickens. I've treated the 2 infected chickens daily for the last 4 days and the mites aren't dying. Am I missing something? I thought DE was supposed to kill them?

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    DE works best as a preventative. Some people have great luck with it, some it doesn't do anything.

If you already have an infestation, you will probably need to go with something a bit heavier duty. If the DE isn't working, you'll probably need to dust them with poultry dust or Sevin - but you need to do all your birds because they all probably have them - but you just have seen them yet.

When you treat, be sure you clean out the coop, dust the coop, dust the birds and repeat it all in 7-10 days. If that doesn't get them all, do it a third time in 7-10 days. and if THAT doesn't work - you'll probably need to do the Ivomec route. Mites can be tough little buggers. I've been dealing with the same issue for a month now. I've just about got them gone though.

If you prefer to stay organic, I dont have much else to offer - maybe someone else will know of something better -

I know you can try garlic in their feed - but that will affect the taste of the eggs, too.

EDIT - OOPS - I'm having a brain fart - I just reread that you did treat all your girls and the coop [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    your wasting you time with DE, i found out the hard way last fall when we had our first out break of mites, I had been using DE for 6 years, but you need to bring in the big guns now that you have them, first treat your birds with Epernix pour-on small fowl 3to 4 drops to back of neck between wings on the skin. or Poultry dust put into an old sock and dust all but faces. i like to use the Epernix because 1. no dust to inhale and get all over me, and because it also worms too, and no egg withdrawl either. 2. Take all bedding out of your coop then open all windows and doors and spray from top to bottom with sevin spray [mix with water according to directions] another reason i like the spray is because you can get into every nook and cranie with spray, i don't do so good with the dust. let it dry completely then put in small amt. of bedding because in 1 week you'll need to spray again to kill the nits that hatched since first spraying. I'ts alot of work but i think you'll finally get rid of them we did. Mites can kill chickens because they suck their blood and cause anemia. I only use DE now to help dry up the bedding and to mix in their feed. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Yeah.. I don't feel like DE is doing squat. Guess I'll start trying to find a better dust. What dust do you use?

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've used Ivomec and Adams flea and tick spray. Wiped out lice and mites the first time, although I'm not sure which one did what... I'm sure a powder would be milder to your birds though (although the bird I treated was a bantam, and showed no ill effects).

6. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    What is the first indication that you even have mites? Someone said something about their legs and feet?

7. DTRM30

May 25, 2009
    I've used the garden/poultry dust available at TSC or similar stores. You can also use the brand called Sevin -

If you're going to use the dust - some suggestions to help reduce inhalation and mess ...
    you can A) Place some in an old panty hose or similar, tie it off and use it like a powder puff B) put sume dust in a garbage bag or similar, place the chicken in the bag with their head out, and do the "shake -n- bake" - or what I did was use a trial size baby powder bottle, filled it with the dust - and sprinkled it on them like you would baby powder.

Just be sure to get into all the feathers real good - kinda like brush/pet them backward to lift the feathers to get it down to their skin. Be careful around their face/head.

If you use Ivomec - the Eprinex is the best b/c there is no withddrawl for the eggs. If you use the regular Ivomec - you shouldn't eat the eggs for 14 days. You use it like frontline - place the drops on their skin. Use the pour-on for cattle - the dose is .5 cc for regular size birds and .25 for small/bantams. This also works as a de-wormer.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I also use Ivomec Pour On (It's for cattle). I pull feathers underneath the wing, it's much easier there than on the back of the neck, since it has to go on the skin and can't be put on feathers. (Learned that from Sonoran)

9. DTRM30

May 25, 2009
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

What is the first indication that you even have mites? Someone said something about their legs and feet?

You might notice a dirty looking appearance/substance around the vent area or in the feathers in general. Their feathers can start to get "ratty" looking - and if the infestation gets real bad, the birds will become anemic making them more prone to other illnesses and it can even kill them.

The easiest way to check is at night - with a flashlight. You may see the mites on the roost/walls crawling around as some live off the bird during the day. You may get some on you - or they may even bite you.

The only mites that will make a noticible difference on their legs are the scaly leg mites. There are a few different common types. Scaly leg mites are microscopic - you won't see them. Just raised scales on their legs eventually turining into scores/scabs and if left - even loss of toes.
    Northern Fowl mites and Chicken mits are visible to the eye, but look like grains of dirt or pepper that move. Mites are quick, though - so your birds may have them and you never see them.

There are a few links to show what they look like. I'll see if I can find them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by