trouble or my fault

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thesteven, Mar 14, 2011.

1. thesteven

thesteven Chirping

Apr 25, 2009
    so i went to feed my new boy, i poured in his food in and he went to eating it, about a minute later he started snezzing, not an acasional but like a bunch with some muscus flying. i watched him for sneezing before i brought him home and nothing, could it be the dust from the food , cause the wasn;t a normal RI sneeze but more like a continous phase for a bit. also is it taylan or teramicyn(sp?) that helps prevent it. i have had my leghorns about a year and never had a problem, i dont want them to catch, though they are in differant pens, they could get near him when they have there stroll
    thank you

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

could have been the dust, I'd watch him for the rest of the day and see how he is in the morning before starting antibiotics, post and let us know how he's doing.

3. chickengrl

chickengrl Songster

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It does sound like you bought a sick bird. Can you take it back? The reason I am asking is that if it is respiratory it is probably contagious and some of these will leave your bird a carrier of the disease for life. If you treat the bird Tylan 50 0.5 cc just under the skin behind the neck for 5-7 days is a start. Without knowing what is really going on though, that is a shot in the dark since some diseases are viral and won't respond to antibiotic. So, for sure keep it away from the rest of your flock, keep warm, and try to keep it eating and drinking. Good luck.

4. thesteven

thesteven Chirping

Apr 25, 2009
    thank you, i got him free and do not want to cull, he is like a child, or as tame as one, lol and i will.

5. thesteven

thesteven Chirping

Apr 25, 2009
    sorry i missed your post, he was a free bird from a dude i knew, sold all his chickens and gave me him, he kept them pretty well and thats why i thought it was odd, also it have been a while since i had a sick bird, but last time i had one i went to tractor supply and got some yellow powder stuff and it made him well, i need to look, it up... i honestly cant remember, guess i am glad since since i dont have to remember it.

6. thesteven

thesteven Chirping

Apr 25, 2009
    looked at him today, though not a a long time, didn't see anything wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: