Trouble Passing Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ira B, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ira B

Ira B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Greetings All,

A newbedo here and new to chickens and am a little concerned about one of our birds.
    My daughter and I have 3 Rhode Island Reds. They are about laying age but no eggs yet.
    My question is do chickens ever have trouble passing eggs and if so, is this a veterinary emergency?
    One of our birds (Pecky) is waddling around slowly like a toddler with a load in their pants. She sits with her eyes closed and squats a lot which I am assuming is her effort to pass her first egg. This has been going on for about two days.
    Is she OK?
    If I am being silly, please feel free to all have a good laugh at my expense. [​IMG]

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] From The Mid-Ohio Valley: So glad you are here![​IMG] I'd try to get that hen walking & excercising her lower hip area. Same as for us humans, walking is advised while labor is due, but slow to begin.
    Grab a shovel or garden trowel, call your hen over for some aerobic excercise: PECKING & SCRATCHING.[​IMG] [​IMG] LOL! have fun with your chickenz!![​IMG]

3. Ira B

Ira B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Thank You for the welcome and reply.

That was my hunch and we have been trying to entice her with a little bird seed (their favorite treat) into moving around a bit.
    After helping deliver 3 of our kids my impression of her behavior was that it seems similar to labor. The poor bird looks pretty out of sorts but my guess is that it may be best to mostly leave her alone and let her do her thing??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by