Trouble Roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M Scott, Apr 8, 2017.

1. M Scott

M Scott Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    South Missouri
    I have 15 chickens and 1 rooster that are 14 weeks old. The coop has two 7 foot roost bars over a poop board. Every night there is fighting over one roost bar. They don't all fit on one. Anyone have suggestions on how to get them to use both bars? It's only going to get worse when they get bigger. Thanks MS[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most chickens squabble at roost time, everyone wants the best spot. It's normal. They will spread out if necessary.

3. M Scott

M Scott Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    South Missouri
    So, looking at this pic, is there anything I could change?

4. PraiseGod

PraiseGod Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Heart in Jerusalem
    maybe make them shorter so they have no other choice but it probably won't stop all the fighting. Roosting spots and treats are all mine ever fuss with each other about. No matter how much or how spread out.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You could make two completely separate roosts, yours are pretty close together.

6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

2x, the perching bars are way too close to each other. I would give it a 18-20" space or even raise the one closer to the wall a foot higher or all together add another perching bars on opposite wall. I have 24 hens and have 36 feet of perches @different heights.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, roosts are too close together.
    I'd build another poop tray on other wall for the second roost and center both roosts over trays.

RoostTimeRumble will always happen...normal.

8. M Scott

M Scott Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    South Missouri
    Welllllll, the foot print of my coop is 4' X 8'. The opposite wall of roosts are 4 laying boxes. Do not really any room for more poop trays and roosts. Might have to go more vertical over current poop board or do away with board all together [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welll....another option is to get rid of half those birds, because 16 birds in a 4x8 is pretty tight quarters, especially if you live in a harsh winter climate.

Knowing more about your goals,
    climate/location(putting location in profile can really help garner more viable answers/suggestions),
    and some wider pics of coop/run inside and out,
    could help us help you find a solution.

Oh just noticed you're new....Welcome to BYC!

10. M Scott

M Scott Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    South Missouri
    Well, yes, I should get rid of some of my birds, but alas, I cannot. I love them and they love me. Sooo, somehow I'm just going to have to make it work. They would be just fine if they would just use both roost bars. The climate in South MO is not too horrible. My goal is to have the fulfilling hobby of raising healthy and happy chickens with the bonus of supplying family and friends with eggs. Their run is 25' X 80'.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by