1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trouble sexing animals!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BantyHugger, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Everyones parents have some odd little quirk about them. A little something that makes them 'special'. A defect in some cases, a blessing in others. Well i think i found the one i inherited.
    My mom has NEVER been able to sex an animal that wasn't a dog or a cat. Well this year i decided to breed rabbits. Needless to say i sexed them wrong. For the past 3 month i could figure out why i wasn't getting any babies. Turns out I've been breeding boys with boys and girls with other girls. We assumed the girl rabbits were 'doing it' at night since rabbits are nocturnal. LOL
    Anyone else got a story kinda like this?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try sexing silkies and Polish, LOL

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hey it even happens with cats. We had a kitty named Queen and it was a good 8 months before we finally figured out it was a boy.

4. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    [​IMG]

That's too funny
    I'm useless with sxing chickens!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, we all have our trials to go through.[​IMG]

6. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    You are not alone. I took a "male" rabbit to the vet to be neutered several years ago and received a call several hours later that the vet dscovered that "he" was a female once the anesthesia kicked in. Embarassing for me and for the vet!

7. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Lol good to know i'm not alone. seminolewind thanks for finally explaining why my mom doesn't want silkies! Lol

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:LOL, you have to have ALOT of patience. It's months before you know. I'm switching to EE's, I just burned out all my patience with Polish, and I have enough.

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    With me its the opposite. We have had 2 cats that I said were boys. Mom swore they were girls. Well she took them to get spayed and the vet told her they were boys.
    This spring we hatched out one batch of sumatras. We had them in a cage for a couple months and all and mom wanted to sell the sumatra 'bantams in pairs'. I told her there was no way they could be bantams with the exception of one. Well they kept growing and mom said that they should be laying soon and all. I told her they were only a couple months and that they werent pairs. Well one day the adult bantam rooster got into the pen with them and they towered over him so I called mom out to show her. Thats when she finally agreed that they were largefowl. Then she wanted to sell some off in pairs but I told her there were more hens than roos but she wouldnt listen to me. Well she went to sell a 'pair' of them and ended up grabbing 2 girls. The person buying them was a newbie to chickens and they could tell that the birds were hens. I went out and helped her go through them and like I told her we had 4 roosters and about 15 hens.
    Another time when we were into silkies we went to a show and bought a buff rooster and a partridge 'hen'. Right as the breeder pulled it out I said 'nice rooster' then she said it was a female. Mom told me that the lady should know the gender because she has bred them for ages. I just went along with it and we took them home. Well about 2 months later when we got no eggs from the pen and there were 2 new rooster crows in the yard mom noticed the pointy feathers in the head. Then I told her that the way I knew it was a boy was the black breast. We got our money back.

Then the most recent time was when I got pheasnts. I originally went and got a pair of silvers, trio of amhearst and a yellow golden cock and a so called yellow golden pullet. When I unloaded them I told mom that the pullet didnt look right as far as color and all and that I thought the yellows were supposed to be diluted. She said that since they have bred the pheasants longer than I have been alive that they should know. Well I looked up pics and just as I thought it was a red golden cockerel. When I got inside the lady called and said that she accidently gave me a red golden cockerel. I had one of those 'told ya so' moments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by