Trouble Shooting Incubating Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy chook, May 26, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    So my first two hatches were a disaster and only one chick hatched from each lot set. So now that I have had some advise on why they may not have hatched (temp too low / humidity too high / not enough oxygen) I have modified the incubator and I can't get the humidity over 23% It is a home made incubator - styrofoam box type. Temp is now set at 37.4 - 37.9, it has a number of oxygen holes, shallow dish with 2 sponges full of water and has a fan to circulate the air. [​IMG]
    Any other changes and do I need to bump up the humidity before i set any eggs? I am worried I wont get many hatch again...so want to make it right this time.[​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

23% humidity will be too low. You will need to raise that. I incubate at 30 - 35%, and then raise it to 60 - 65% the last 3 days, for the hatch.

ETA: Be sure to calibrate your hygrometer, so you know your humidity accurately.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I have added another water dish and sponges and it is now at 34% I will see if it stays the same after 12 hours or so.
    I just dont know if I will be able to raise to 60% when its time for lock down.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by