Trouble w tough membrane / How long can they live stuck after zipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Nov 4, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Is it possible to have high humidity (75%+), but the membrane dry out if it takes the chick a really long time after zipping?

I have one chick that has been completely zipped and stuck for 36 hours. That is, 36 hours of being zipped all the way. He is obviously breathing just fine, so I am guessing he can just hang out that way until the rest hatch, then I can lift it off for him?

Also, I have another that seems to have a thick membrane. He zipped completely, but it's like he had to zip again through the membrane itself. He's been shell-zipped for over 12 hours, but can't get the membrane to break loose. I can see him breathing, but I doubt he will be able to get that membrane to budge. He has poked many holes in it, so I am guessing he will be okay until the rest have hatched?

I am being SOOOO good at resisting the urge to help, but these two are obviously fine but stuck after zipping. *sigh* What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I lost three chicks that had pipped because they were too large to zip. They looked fine after I opened them dead in shell. My humidity was too high during incubation and the chicks had grown too large to zip properly. I wish now that I had helped. I hope some one has a good answer for you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    One has just been sitting there, fluffy chick fuzz seen on all sides... he's been there so long he's fluffed up, but scrunched over and wearing a big shell-hat. I think his head may be low and he can't raise it up? I'm guessing he may be okay for a while, since he's basically "out" and has lots of air?

The other with so much membrane worries me... I don't think he can do it, I just hope he can hang out long enough for me to help him... I don't want to jeopardize the other 21 in there!!! Ugh. I hate this part.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    As long as the yolk is fully absorbed, I would help him out. Do it only if YOU feel comfortable with it, JMO

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Well if they completely zipped you know there's no membranes that are bleeding. If they've been that way for so long I would absolutely help them out. They did the hard part. They just need a little bit of help. if they've fluffed then definitely help imho.

6. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I agree. I would help.

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I'm not one to normally advocate helping but if they have fully zipped then I would be getting them out too. Do you have any others in there that have pipped? You will have to watch your humidity if you do. A spritz of warm water as you open the lid would help. good luck!

8. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I am not afraid of helping them at all... I know they just need someone to lift the top off...

But, I am SO afraid of dropping humidity. I have 5 pipped and 15 that I know were alive and kicking when I candled on day 17... so they are most likely internally pipped. Humidity is at about 82%. I could just lift the lid a little, but still... SO nervous! Maybe if I put a wet towel over me and the incubator during the lid cracking?? I'm willing to look ridiculous...

These are bbs marans that I drove 2 hours one way to get, so I really don't want to lose anything!!!

9. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    This is JMO but a mama hen has to get up form time to time. Cracking the lid & breaking lockdown should be ok to help these 2 out. Add a paper towel folded up with warm water to help bring the humidity back up once you're done?

10. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    They are close to the side, so I think I can make it work. One is actually FUZZY and still inside! It looks like someone took a day of chick and crammed it in an egg and tried to put the lid back on!

The other is truly stuck... that membrane isn't going anywhere. Maybe maran membranes are extra strong?

Will keep you posted... I think I can just crack it for a second, pull them out to "help" and then crack it to slip them back in. I bet humidity won't drop below 65.

Now, to psych myself up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by