trouble with bublefoot surgery, what to do???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    just found out that another one of my hens had bumblefoot and when inspecting her foot the scab just came right off. we took her to the sink, dipped her foot in hot salty water, looked around in the hole with tweezers but found nothing in there , but just skin, so just put some cream on it, put a little bandage on and taped it up, but we had no vet tape or bandage or antibiotics, so just had to look for things round the house. her foot wasn't swollen and she was walking fine as she is now after her surgery. so do you think we need to do surgery again or was this just mild and that's it now? here is a pic of her foot after the scab came off;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    ??

3. savnnah07

savnnah07 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    From what I have seen, once the scab comes off you have to get the seed or kernel out of the foot. If you don't get rid of that, the problem will keep coming back. I had one that I never got a kernel out of a about a month later it came back with a vengeance. Once you get all of the cheese-stuff out, the hole should look kind of empty inside and the puffy pocket on the bottom of her foot should feel more deflated. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon as I am most certainly not an expert [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the replies. when we l;ooked on the hole there was nothing but skin, no sign of a Kernel.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think your case is in the early stages and doesn't need surgery yet.

8. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks, that's what we were hoping that's reassuring. we will try and keep it clean and bandaged, so do you thing it will need surgery later on?

9. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    also we think one of our chickens have scaly leg mites, will the mites nest in her bandage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by