Trouble with candeling.........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Apr 18, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I have about 20 bantam brahma eggs. I try to candle with a powerful flashlight (high power millitary grade) and i dont seem to get anything in the eggs. Do you have trouble candleing these eggs. Also this is my first time and I plan to leave all of them in the incubator is that safe to do? Thanks- Joe

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    At what day are you candling, it is allways easier to candle on day 10.

AL

3. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    What should i see on day 10?

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    you should see some veining, and possibly a definite small dark spot (embryo) and some movement. you must make sure you have a totally dark room and a good seal on the flashlight/egg point.

AL

5. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:a network of veins, the embryo bobbing around...

Here's a pic of what you should see around day 10:
    http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/a/AKSnowLuvr/96.jpg (notice the dark spot(yolk and chick) and the veins around them. When you candle, you should also see the chick's eye(which will appear as a dark circle moving around). [​IMG]

Here are some more helpful websites:
    http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/birds/label/chickenegg10days/answers.shtml

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/candling-eggs.php (scroll down to watch a video of candling an egg- you can see the chick moving around inside!) [​IMG]

Good luck!

6. sallywilliams

sallywilliams New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
  7. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I know this seems odd and maybe counter-intuitive, but at around day 10, I found a somewhat less powerful flashlight to improve what I saw. Contrast seemed better when everything wasn't flooded with light. I use an LED flashlight that is strong, but not off the charts bright (Unless the shells are green or super dark brown).

If you hold the flashlight right up to the egg it is harder to see as well. It is easier to cup your hands to create a bit of a light tunnel, or use haf a toilet paper roll.

Laura

8. chanda

chanda Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    MS
    I usually candle in a dark room with a cheap CSI'ish LED flashlight. It's about 3 inches long, and I bought it at WM, I think. Around day 10, I look for veins and vessels--sometimes they're really subtle. As they approach maturity, the egg will be filled with a solid darkness, the air sac will enlarge, and you may see movement.

In determining whether or not an egg is rotten, I candle them, looking for a floating bubble. (For example, if I suspect that an egg is rotten, I'll candle. If I see an obvious bubble in dark fluid--not an embryo--shifts as I gently rock and candle the egg, then I assume it's rotten.) The easiest way to pick out a rotten egg is if it has sticky, yellow-brown seeping in spots.

Also, if you see a "blood line" around the inside of the egg, you have a dead embryo. It'll be a solid line of red all the way around the circumference of the egg. It's obviously not veins or vessels--it's in a complete, predictable line around the inside of the egg, not random like a vein.

Hope this helps!

Chanda

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  9. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I invested in a Cool-Lite Egg Candler and it works wonderfully, especially on dark eggs. I can put it on top of the eggs as they sit in the turner without having to pick them up because of the way the light seals itself to the egg surface. I think Meyer has them for about $15, they plug into the wall so they don't need batteries too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by