Trouble with good layers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heatherincanyon, May 13, 2011.

1. heatherincanyon

heatherincanyon Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I'm fairly new to the site, so I hope I get this right [​IMG] There are a few layers to the question I have so I'll try to be as clear as possible...

I have a "production layer" that has always been a great layer and still is, however a couple months ago she started molting. Her front neck and one wing lost most of the feathers and never grew back. She still lays and seems fine, just balding???

I have another irregular layer that has been staying in her lay box the better part of most days (only comes out to eat). Also seems healthy, no soars, or any visible wounds, just stays in her box, but hasn't laid in about 3 weeks?

Lastly, both of my ducks have stopped laying. Generally once it warms up (I'm in sunny So Cal, it's already hitting the 90's) they are regular every/every other day layers but haven't laid in a week and a half...

Is there something that could cause all of these symptoms? Should I be worried? Or is this more like "one of those things" that will work it's self out? They are all in good spirits, and nothing else has changed about their personalities. I haven't changed foods or changed anything about their diet/routine...

Any help is welcome!! Thanks so much!

Heather

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sounds like the nesting box one may just be broody. My girls just started losing their feathers in strange places too. I looked and looked and couldn't see any bugs. Even went out in the coop at night with a flashlight to look. Then one day I looked again and they were all covered in lice. I found them around the vent buried in the fluff feathers. Strange after looking so many times.
    Lice may not be your problem, but it's worth a look. Mine have been treated and hopefully feel a lot better now!

Can't help with the ducks, sorry!

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I agree with Pharm Girl on the lice thing. It could be a possibility so just rule it out to be sure. As far as the laying, maybe you could try a layer feed or something for them. Not too familiar with ducks though. & your hen sounds broody to be. pop some fertile eggs under her & youll be good to go ! [​IMG]

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    You could also have a picker in the flock(How many do you have?) One of mine would eat the others feathers so that they went missing as soon as they came in.Again I dont know about the ducks.The one hanging out in the box is just feeling motherly.

5. heatherincanyon

heatherincanyon Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Thanks guys! I'll look for lice, but if that's it how would I go about treating that?

I do use a good quality layer feed, high in protein with plenty of ground up eggshell for calcium [​IMG]

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Just type in lice in the search on BYC. You'll find so many ideas on how to treat it. I went the Eprinex route since I didn't want to deal with powders, but it's more expensive and the jury is out on weather it worked on mine or not as I still see a few lice on my birds 3 days after treatment. HHmmmm.
    It took me about 5 times looking for bugs to finally find them and when I did, it was on the one bird that I thought didn't have issues!

Last edited: May 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by