1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

trouble with hatch...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fjleiter, Jul 19, 2008.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time posting.

Currently incubating my first batch of chicken eggs (mutts) have experience with quail but not chicken.
    I am on day 20, first one pipped yesterday on day 19, finally got out today but something is most definitely wrong.

chick had what looked like a thick thread attached to the egg shell, appeared it had already absorbed the yolk though. Inside of shell is bloody. Couple hours after he hatched I checked on him and found a big blob of goo (best way to describe it) and some spots of blood in the incubator. He's moving around, making noises etc and seems to be ok but can't imagine whatever is going on is good.

here's a few pics of whats going on ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any ideas on what happened or is happening?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like the waste sack in the first picture. He may have just hatched a bit early and that would contribute to the blood. Does it have a rough navel?

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I believe that is just what is left over of the albumen. Your chick looks ok as long as it does not continue to bleed.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree with pips&peeps. You will see this happen with hatches. Everything should be fine.

5. fjleiter

Jul 19, 2008
    thanks for the info, never seen this with the quail I have hatched so got worried. Doesn't seem to be bleeding anymore but does have what looks like a string hanging from his navel.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd just leave it alone if it's doing ok. If more hatch and start yanking on the "string" I'd trim it shorter.

7. fjleiter

Jul 19, 2008
    It appears that the hatch is complete, started with 12, 3 damaged in shipping, 4 didn't appear to be fertilized. Had 5 that looked good at 14 day candling. One was even a double yolk! As of today, got two hatched, one on day 19, one on day 20. checked other 3 and no activity. did a post-op on them and one must have dies right around 14 days, one went strange and looked like it turned to mush, red and brown fluid with parts/fluff and bad smell. the double yolker looked like it made it to around 16-17 days, two perfectly formed chicks but LOTS of fluid in egg, really odd looking sac in shell with them filled with blood and black and yellow fluid. (fluid in sac was thick like yogurt).

Kinda stinks cause it looks like they were buff orps which is what I really wanted, would have been cool to have a double yolk make it (I knew it wasn't going to happen, am surprised they developed so far though)

Here's the two that made it, they are barnyard specials so no clue what they are, appear mostly black with white on bellys, butts and wing tips.

[​IMG]

The one that hatched on day 19 appears to be a little bigger than the other and is VERY aggresive, he is continually pecking at the others feet, beak and rear-end. Daughter loves him because he runs right up and climbs on her hand to be picked up. Both appear very friendly (used to quail so anything that doesn't run like your trying to kill it is new to me...)

Daughter really wants silkies, are they any harder to hatch? (might try one more before I go back to quail)

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Where did you get your eggs from? If you want buff orps get eggs from hinkjc - Jody. Amazingly pretty chickens.

9. fjleiter

Jul 19, 2008
    Quote:Got them off of ebay, have to wait and see how these two progress (can't have more than 2 or 3 and have to be hens...) if one or both ends up as cockerels, I will go for buffs for next set if I can. Wish I could get day olds locally but state requires sellers to sell 6 or more at a time (no onesy twoesy type sales)

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I just hatched 4 silkies... same as any other chicken. [​IMG]
    Got some cuties there, yes you do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by