Trouble with hatching eggs using chicken

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nkelly, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Nkelly

Nkelly Chirping

Jan 4, 2015
    We have an inside chicken that was hurt this past winter. She went broody about 3 weeks ago. I pulled eggs from other hen's for her to hatch. We were down to 3 and our puppy got 1 and smashed it. It was days from hatching. I was devastated. ( still am) I handled the 2 remaining. They don't seem viable however this is my first time. Is it safe to let her sit on new eggs now or she I break her and try again when she goes broody again. I don't want her to abandon new ones thinking they are not going to hatch but I also don't want her getting sick and weak from being broody for so long? Any advice is appreciated

cavemanrich likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Have you been keeping track as to when the 2 remaining should hatch???
    If those do not hatch out, THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO;;;;;
    Go to feed store and usually at this time of year ,,, they sell baby chicks. Get a few, and set those under her at night. This way you have your chicken doing the hard work of raising littles.:thumbsup
    In my area there are regulations to sell a minimum of 6 chicks at most feed stores. A few other feed stores will sell less. There are good reasons for this, but that is a different subject.
    Depending on your location, the rules may be different.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

3. Nkelly

Nkelly Chirping

Jan 4, 2015
    They should hatch anytime now. Today is day 21! Thank you for the idea. I'll have to check and see if there are any left in our area incase I need a plan B

cavemanrich likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: