trouble with hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by esp5, Jun 27, 2011.

1. esp5

esp5 New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    a chicken adopted us three weeks ago, big red, looks to be a year old. She is in good condition, she has red face happy demeanor, and a good eater. We kept her only after trying to find her owner, and not finding any. We have raised chickens before {Jersey Giants} however with 4 kids and a dog, it became a lot. So now we have this chicken and wanted to get her a friend. We purchased a Dark Brahma, from a well known farm, she was hatched on 3,2011 and we received her on 6,2011. With in a few days of getting her she started sneezing, and at night had a tiny cough, I thought it was her "talking" so I didn't think anything of it. However, now she is paler {a sign of sickness from what I have read..} and she likes to just sit. she hasn't done the classic hard breathing yet {beak open, and panting} but I don't know what to do. I called the person we bought her from and she has a 3 month guarantee, and will take her back, but could it be the big red? she seems fine, and has not shown any signs of the above illness. I would like to get more, but am leary now, fearing that she has something worse. if you have any knowledge in the matter I would truly appreciate it. We love chickens and they are wonderful and any help in this matter would be great!
    Enjoy your day.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    First of all, [​IMG]

The folks are really knowledgable here and can help on many issues, so you have come to the right place!

It is always a good idea to keep new hens separate from your flock, or your one hen, for 30 days incase the new hen has something that could kill the flock or visa versa. Chickens can carry all sorts of diseases that can be transfered to other birds. I would be a bit leary of getting another hen from this breeder as if one of them has something, so could all the others.

So your choices are to get another bird, separate the new hen and treat it with antibiotics, wormers and dust with mite powder, or mix both hens and treat both with antibiotics. If they have both been together for any length of time, your hen could have contracted what ever the new hen had. And just because she is a reputable breeder, doesn't mean her birds can't be sick.

So I would be careful keeping this new bird or any other you bring into your yard. However one hen should not live alone. So keep an eye on all your new or old birds and you may have to do some doctoring to get them all up to health. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. esp5

esp5 New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Thank you so much! I did contact her and she thought we should try a tea of concentrated lavender, and then if not that then garlic oil. {1500ml everyday...} I have never dealt with a sick chicken and we are keeping her from the other chicken, she seems to be getting better, the color is returning to her comb, so we are pleased with that.... SO as for now, we are just on a day by day basis. Were do you get antibiotics for a chicken? I called our local vet and she will not treat her, so I am stuck on that end. Thoughts?? Thanks for the reply! Your have helped immensity!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many respiratory ailments respond well to Agrimycin (sp). You can get that at any feed store. If I can remember correctly, it is 1/2 teaspoon in one quart of water. It will also treat intestinal ailments so it is a good antibacterial to have on hand. You can also order this sort of thing online from poultry suppliers if you can not find it locally.

I am so glad to hear that she is getting better! And I hope she continues to heal. Good luck with your new chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by