1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trouble with my Silver Grey Dorking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farminbigs, Sep 7, 2014.

1. farminbigs

farminbigs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Early this year, her belly went bald. We couldn't figure out why. We did have an issue with a hawk briefly that injured one of our other hens last December, but when it came back a week later, our dogs chased it out of the hard and it never came back. So maybe that stressed caused it?? She had no signs of illness, they have a great diet, are fully free-ranging during the day, and she wasn't even a year old yet. We have a large yard that is fully fenced and dogs who protect them from predators (the dogs and hens get along great.) My husband regularly turns up the soil in different parts of the yard and the ladies LOVE to eat all the bugs they can find when he does this. We have 6 hens, so there isn't a problem with crowding. There were no mites we could find, we were baffled. She was still laying eggs normally. Her belly feathers came back in then she began to appear like she might be molting in late spring as with a few other of our hens. Feathers everywhere, she laid sometimes two eggs a day, then she stopped laying all together. She displayed all the signs of molting I could come across. Loss of feathers, her comb drastically shrunk in size and she looked like a scraggly hen. Now it's September and she looks beautiful again with a full set of feathers, her comb is back to it's usual floppy size with good color and she has plumped back up. I keep expecting to find her eggs in the box, but still no eggs! It has been months! Am I missing something?? She is otherwise active, appears healthy. All of our other hens are too. We do have one hen that can be mean sometimes, but only to one of our other hens. I feel like she should be laying again and am perplexed by this. Our general egg laying has slowed down drastically from our first year of laying (all of our hens are just over a year old) but everyone seems to be laying except her. I know it's her because she is the only white egg layer we have. Thoughts? Ideas?

2. farminbigs

farminbigs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    *bump*

Anyone?? Help??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by