Trouble with our hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caymiane, Mar 11, 2014.

1. caymiane

caymiane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    I'm a little worried about out hatch. We had 16 eggs in the incubator and 4 made no progress. Three hatched on Sunday. One died during the hatch and the eggs are not progressing. Since we already lost a chick, I'm worried about the others. At one point I did hear some faint chirping, but now nothing. No pips, no movement nothing as of today. Any advice on what I should do next? This is our first hatch, so we don't really know what to expect. Today makes day 23.

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Have you candled?

3. caymiane

Jun 5, 2013
    We did last night and I did see some movement in 1 egg, and air pockets in the others.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd give them 24 more hours then pull the plug. Did you do a dry incubation? Humidity and temperature are external things that can affect your hatch, then there's the internal things that we have no control over. If you can, you might want to do a few eggtopsies to try to determine what went wrong, and when. At least you have a few healthy babies for your efforts.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd give them 24 more hours then pull the plug. Did you do a dry incubation? Humidity and temperature are external things that can affect your hatch, then there's the internal things that we have no control over. If you can, you might want to do a few eggtopsies to try to determine what went wrong, and when. At least you have a few healthy babies for your efforts.

6. caymiane

Jun 5, 2013
    Thanks. I just did the float test and they all were low floaters. I candled them as well and I saw a few more moving. I saw one that looked like it had pipped internally. Not sure if I should do anything, or just keep waiting.

7. jennylynn143

jennylynn143 New Egg

Mar 13, 2014
    NorCal
    I'm in the same boat! It's day 23 for my set and my last egg has gone from chirps and pecks to stillness... What happened with your eggs??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by