1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

trouble with rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by glencarbantam, Jul 4, 2016.

1. glencarbantam

glencarbantam New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    ireland
    I got a present of a polish bantam rooster two days ago, told he was very friendly. Friend gave me three silkies too, one a rooster, but they are only 3 months old, very tame and love cuddles but very shy. The rooster keeps stalking me and running up and attacking me, wings flapping, claws flying the whole jazz. The silkies wont leave the coop. My Rhode islands wont lay eggs and the rooster wont leave them alone. Rooster wont go into the coop at night. Its a large clean coop suitable for 30 birds. He sleeps in the grass outside and I have to put him in when he is asleep. No problem picking him up at night. I read that picking him up when he attacks me is the best idea but I have a baby in my arms all the time and this is not possible. I have left him be to settle in, I have given him treats but if he hears me come outside he is after me and the kids. He was fine day one but a nightmare since. I cant get to my 3week old chicks to feed water them at all today until.i got him locked in the coop. I have no run, my chickens are free range. My baby chicks are the only things in a pen. What do I do. He is beautiful and I am completely against killing him. I don't need a rooster. Why does he come out to attack me. Will he settle down or will I bite the bullet and try and sell him to someone that wants a rooster.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if you have small children. In my experience such a rooster can never be trusted around children. Find a new home for him, and warn the new owners that he is human aggressive.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    This boy needs to be gone, with full disclosure, ASAP.. Mary

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    At my house he would have been soup already. The kids are too important to risk injury by a jerk rooster.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Agree with others - if you sell or give him away, it must be with full disclosure that he's human aggressive. If you can't get rid of him that way, instead of biting the bullet, you may have to use one... Either eat him or plant him.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

First, lock his butt up. Find a dog crate or kennel or a blessed cardboard box. Shut his little self in there where he can't hurt anyone.

Then, I'd say return to sender I'm sure the person who gifted him didn't intend to cause stress, but it has. Sounds like your entire flock is in chaos. Plus, you aren't especially mobile and you have littles. I'm sure the person who gave him to you would be mortified to know they've put your littles in danger.

If that person refuses to be responsible and take him back, you can try Craigslist, FB or whatever advertising you chose. I agree to give full disclosure though. It would be just as irresponsible of you to pass the problem on to another person with small kiddos.

So, I'm a grown woman perfectly capable of defending myself and I don't take any crap from animals---chickens to horses. I have a new rooster I didn't pay enough attention to today and I now have a nice cut and bruise on my leg. Imagine that on one of your kiddo's face, it will make getting rid of the bird a lot easier.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Donrae, I hope he's going to be dinner soon too. OUCH! Mary

8. heartofdixie

heartofdixie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    I feel your pain. I bought fertile orpington eggs and hatched them out. I've been wanting orpingtons forever. One of the chick's (about three months old now) is showing signs of aggression. I really want to use him as a breeder because he is a beautiful blue, but if he doesn't mellow out, i might seriously have to sell him or process him. We won't allow aggressive birds to breed because that is not a trait we are looking for. But it sure is hard to get rid of one that is beautiful and especially if you've wanted it for a while. He's not worth any person or animal in my family getting hurt though. I agree you should take him back to where you got him asap and tell the gifter about his aggression and that you can't take a chance of your children getting hurt. To me it sounds like someone just wanted to get rid of a problem rooster.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know I sound tough, but I do give second chances. He's new, it's a small pen, I wasn't paying attention. I'd love to do centrarchid's advice and just sit and let him work it out, but that was not feasible in the moment. I wound up doing the chasing and kicking the crap out of him [​IMG]. He was feeling quite respectful when I exited the pen, we'll see how he is this morning. Sometimes they forget, you know [​IMG].

But, it just brought home for me how they can inflict damage. Oh, and my guy had had his spurs removed just two days ago, so the damage could have been much, much worse. And of course this morning the leg looks pretty horrible cause the bruising has spread. I just keep thinking of a little child being on the receiving end of that and I shudder.

So yeah, the pot is still an option for my guy. He's actually big enough for a decent meal [​IMG]

10. glencarbantam

glencarbantam New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    ireland
    Thanks everyone. Of course if I pass him on it will be with full disclosure. It would be irresponsible not to. My 10yr old went around all day with him under his arm and wouldn't let him down. Everytime he we t for mw he picked him up and talked about chicken soup. My 4yr old just came in with him in his arms. He seems to let the kids pick him up but still does t like me. Is it cause I'm a girl and the kids are boys. I'm going to give him a bit of a chance. A week or two to see if he gets any better. If he doesn't my neighbour would love him. He has no kids but is very good with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by