Trouble with Silkie Roo - now the bantams start as well..need help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChooksinChoppers, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    ok..longish story...my chickens are in my garage with a/c because my neighbour dobbed us in...working on getting the codes changed and working on getting a new property zoned ag in Ocala at the same time. The 3 silkies are in one pen (1 roo and 2 hens) that is right next to another pen (dog exercise pen 6x6) that has 2 cochin roos and one frizzle hen. The cochins seem to be doing ok (no fighting or anything) but the silkie roo is increasingly picking on his hens by grabbing top knot feathers and holding their heads down while they are trying to back away from him.....this morning I ran out just as he was doing this to a hen and he actually ripped out a few of her head feathers..
    I am beginning to think a couple of things

1. They are hating being confined to the garage. I do leave the door open when there is a nice breeze or not too hot day, so they can get a little sunshine and fresh air.
    2. the silkie roo is trying to keep his girls away from the cochin roos (DDs suggestion)

Silkie roo no longer gets his hackles up at the Cochins and they all cuddle down at night on the floor of the pens right next to each other with only the bars of the EX pen between then (which they can fit their heads through) so I thought they were doing rather well with intergrating....
    Just at a loss as what to do with Mr Silkie as I dont want him ripping feathers and hurting the girls.....any suggestions?
    Oh , the silkies are 5 months old.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    The silkie boy is in that horrible teenage stage!!! See if he gets better in time. Sometimes when they are young like that, they can be very rough with the girls. Most do calm down. Some of my most wildest are now approaching 7 months old and doing better with the girls.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmm..... frustrating situation.

You could try putting a visual barrier between the pens or moving their pens further apart. If that doesn't help you could try giving them more mental stimulation by putting stuff in the pen that they can peck (secured cabbage leaves?) If all else fails, then try a larger enclosure if you can. I hope you can break him of his bad habit. Too bad you can't put some bitter gel stuff on the top of the hens' heads - like you would do to keep a dog from chewing on something. I have never read about anyone trying this.

4. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Oh great! Just when I say the 2 Cochin roos are doing ok together...today they start fighting! Grrrrrrrrrr! What do you think about taking the frizzle girl out of their pen and putting her in with the Silkies? Then they won't have anything to fight over...right?

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yeah that was my thought. cochins silkies and the cochins arent fighting [​IMG] I have a bunch of randy cochins around 6 months and it is not fun sometimes. Luckily they have lots of space to run in, but that is still not enough because they congregate by the girls. It does sound like a good idea to move the frizzle and put a visual barrier up. You dont want to let the silkie get to rough either because he could give them brain damage if he keeps pecking their heads so watch that. [​IMG]

6. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:Don't silkies already have brain damage? [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    DD Here! [​IMG]

I was just wondering also... isen't it possibe the Silkie (Velvet) is wanting to mate? 5 months is about mating age??

It does seem to me like he tries to keep the girls away from the pen with the Cochins in it... but we did have a very large peice of cardboard (from a giant TV box) up against the exercise pen bars from when we first set it up, until just last week. The Silkie was showing the same behaviour with the cardboard in place (except for actually being rough with them).... He just seemed determined to keep the girls away from that pen and the girls were determined to ignore him [​IMG]

They have a much larger pen than the Cochins... its probably 10 to 12 ft long? And they never set foot on the other half of it because the Silkie girls always want to be over near the Cochins... even when they couldn't see them through the cardboard [​IMG] and of course that means Velvet has to be over there too [​IMG]

Wish we could move the pens apart but it wouldn't work for the space and the raised floor system we have in there.

Perfectly good brand new custom coop outside.... GRRRRRRR!

ETA: Velvet was soooooo sweet acting with the girls when they were outside! Finding them food and everything! They also listened to him when he warned them away from things back then... Hmmm....

8. ChooksinChoppers

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    and the Cochins are ummmmmm 4 weeks younger than silkies. (easter chicks) arrrgggh!!! help
    The silkies pecked the heck out of the cardboard ...made a big hole [​IMG]

9. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Oh goodness, It sounds like my place here!!! [​IMG] I have too many boys here and it has been trying! But I must say it is getting better as they getting older. I keep them all in the coop together at night. But in the morning most free range, the silkie girls and boys in a pen outside, and I have another pen where some moms with older babies go in. The one EE roo paces the pens from morning to night but they can't get out at each other. But it seemed from about 4 months to about 6 months old they were horrible to each other. The boys are not as rough as they were either so I think they are growing up a bit and being outside does help.
    How long do you have to keep them in these pens? Maybe when you are able to get them back outside things will calm down!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by