Trouble with the red plastic baby chick waterer????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jennym, May 19, 2008.

1. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have that red chick waterer (the smallest one for babies) that I bought for my six little girls who are only 7 days old. Twice now the waterer has been in the standing position, but empty. Their bedding was soaked on the side wher the waterer is. Now I know they did not tip it over and stand it back up. Has anyone else experienced this.
    After dinner I may have to go the TSC and get something else.
    It's not good. I work all day and who knows how long they have been with out water.

[​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

is the bottom of your brooder level? even if it has a slight angle, or even a tad bit of a bounce like some plastic containers have, it's gonna drain out. Set a couple of bricks side by side and then set the water-er on top of that.

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Did you twist the jar part too hard into the base? If so it probably cracked along the base. You might want to tape it.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have had those stupid plastic waterers not seal tightly when I screwed them togehter and it leaves just enough room for the water to glug, glug out slowly. I use glass jars and galvanized water bases. They last WAY longer, are more durable, and have less surface area for anything to drown in.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I had problems with ours too. I noticed it helps if you keep it full and keep the hole the water comes out, on the lowest side.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For now, if you have a regular 'big chicken' waterer, like one of the plastic 1 or 3 gallon ones, you can fill the trough about 2/3 full of marbles, or those glass blobs used for crafty projects, or WELL WASHED rounded pebbles.

sounds like your waterer may be defective - it may have a misfit issue that prevents it from sealing properly, or it may have a little 'burr' or something. That seems to be annoyingly common with the plastic waterers. We can put a man on the moon (well, we could thirty years ago) but we can't make a chicken waterer that doesn't leak? hmph [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

7. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks for all the answers! You guys are the best.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by