Troubled hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama_hen, May 12, 2011.

1. Mama_hen

Mama_hen Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Hi,
    I have 4 buffs hens, 4 black shooting stars hens, and 2 Rhode Island Red hens. They are 29 weeks, not all are laying yet. I have noticed that some prevent others from laying. Yesterday my buff which we named Skinny ( she is thinner that the other Buffs) she was being chased something trerrible. I went into the coop and was able to pick her up. She was alittle bloody on her comb, so I cleaned that up. She was very stressed. I placed her on a nest not knowing if that was what she was trying to do. Her neck was stretched out upwards and her mouth open along with her wings slightly opened and pulled forward. A few minutes later she layed. It took her awhile to come down off the nest, when she did she went to the water and drank as though she hadn't drank all day. This morning she has no interest in food or water. She seems uninterested in anything, while the others are busy doing their thing. Is there anything I can do to encourage her food intake. I really don't want to lose her, I've lost 5 during the first 3 months unknowning why. How can I prevent them from attacking each other when they are trying to lay?

Thanks,
    De Anne [​IMG]

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Increase the number of nesting boxes and put them in a diff. location in the coop. The bullying you speak of is not uncommon with hens when attempting to lay. I have more than enough nesting boxes and of course they prefer one or two boxes. The hens lower in the pecking order will be driven out by the higher hens.
    You don't say where you are but you describe with the one hen sounds like she was very hot. Again not uncommon for hens to immediately drink after laying, I don't think most people realize it but laying an egg seems to be very stressfull. The hen expends a lot of energy expelling the egg.
    Your sudden losses is a concern.

3. Mama_hen

Mama_hen Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    When we got our chicks late Oct 09, one had past away during transport. The others past a few days afterwards with no signs until it was too late. I am in Statesville NC. This is my first time rasing chickens and I have grown to love them. I catch myself watching them while washing dishes, looking out any window that views the backyard. I will try more nest in different locations and let you know how it goes. I also have 7 roosters but only want 2 of them for breeding later on. I have asked around, no-one is interested. So for now I'll enjoy my boys.

Thank You,
    De Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by