troubles laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wickett, Dec 10, 2008.

1. wickett

wickett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    I am wondering if anyone out there as had a similar problem that we are having. We now have 4 chickens they are almost two years old this spring and they have been great layers all of them very predictable. But this fall things started slacking off in the egg laying department due to molting. Then here a month ago they started laying really good again getting 2-3 eggs a day from the four hens. Then about two weeks ago they all stopped laying completely. We haven't had an egg for about two weeks. We are giving them 12-14 hours of light each day, plenty of laying mash and water. Any help from anyone on what to do from here?

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Have u recently changed the brand/type of laying mash you're giving them. Have u had a predator scare recently? Other than that I don't know, maybe just a back lash from the molting?? [​IMG]

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would give tham more time to adjust to the lighting.

4. wickett

wickett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    We have had a predator scare lately. Approximately two weeks ago we had a racoon visit and after about three days we caught him in a trap just out side the coop. Do you think they are affected by the racoon?

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Certainly is a possibility. It may take them another wk or 2 before they start laying again. They'll start up again though. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by