Troubles with 2 pullets I bought

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Baker Farm, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Baker Farm

Baker Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    So last Friday I bought 2 barred rock pullets from a "breeder" and I'll use that term loosly here.
    I brought them home in my roughly 24" x 24" wooden crate and set them up temporarily in the garage so I can isolate them before introducing to my current flock.
    After looking the birds over, I wasnt overly happy about one of the chickens legs... very rough and bumpy and off colored. After some hunting on BYC it has to be scaley leg mites.
    The other pullets legs looked fine, but since they were together I'm treating them both with daily coatings of cooking oil brushed on.

Besides that, I noticed bullying going on... big time! One is sbviously older than the other. Bigger, taller comb where the other barely has any comb, and the big one pecked the little one so much the side of her head was bloody so now I've got those 2 seperated in seperate boxes for now.

Once the leg mites are under control, what would be a good way to introduce these 2 with my other 9 month old sex-links?
    I was thinking of putting the younger one in first and keeping the bully confined in my garage, then once she has established a place in the order of the coop attempting to bring in the nasty one.
    Any tips on this would be great.

And the easy thing would be to take the birds back to the person, but I dont even want to deal with her again. After contacting her, she claims all of her other birds are clear of leg mites, and she then mentioned those 2 birds came out of different coops. Smart idea to throw them together in a small box!

Thanks!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I'd put them in together. The bully would have to work to find her place in the order and couldn't bully the other BPR. The sex links also couldn't concentrate on just one.

3. Baker Farm

Baker Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    Sounds good. I'll be waiting until their legs are all cleared up from the leg mites. Poor things. I hope it doesn't take too long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by