Troubles with a sportsman incubator

Paco

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Enid,Ok
I got a sportsman incuabtor as a gift from my grandma who used to hatch everything from chickens to parrots anyway she cut a hole in the door and scewed a piece of plexi glass on each side and the temperature won't get over 96.3 . Is there anything I can do to help bring the tamperature ?

If it hasn't been used in a while I would get a new wafer, a good thermometer and would do well to be in a room that stays somewhere around 70-78 degrees. Congrats on the gift.

I didn't even think of the temperature around to the incubator to influence the temputure on the inside. Right now its in the chicken coop which isn't heated. Where would i go to buy a new wafer ? Do you have any thromometers that you would recommend.

You can order wafers and thermometers from GQF and/or check your feed stores. My local feed store carries them. Wal-Mart carries a glass thermometer (mercury free) it blue liquid in it..very accurate , made by Geratherm and was reasonably priced.

Is it one with a backup thermostat? my old GQF has a electric thermostat in front and a wafer in back as backup, what also may have happened is the backup got bumped and no longer set at 102F, if thats the case you can download the manual online free and it will tell you how to get started and set both thermostats. Still getting a good thermometer is a must, and replacing the wafer is not a bad thing due to the age.

I'm using a GQF meat type thermometer and a Brinsea Spot check and like both.

Quote:
yes thats your problem....not the wafer if bad will cause incubator to overheat......should also have two thermostat ,make sure one is not set to low.

Last edited:
You guys have been a great help!! Thanks guys
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom