Troubleshoot my chicken

Just2relax

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
On this episode my young Jersey White Giant doesn't appear to be eating. I got home from work and noticed she seemed off. She's usually the hen with the most personality and a voracious eater. Today she was lagging behind everyone. I offered them some scratch from my hand, which she's usually the first to dive into but she didn't have any of that. Instead she just climbed up to my shoulder and started preening me. Her tail is down and she seems almost lethargic.
I've got a stool picture. 20210506_175059.jpg 20210506_175120.jpg 20210506_175636.jpg

Last edited:
make sure she gets some fresh water with a couple drops of apple cider vinegar - it might help.
I usually recommend curd to help kill bacteria and strengthen her overall body system. If she doesn't want it, then kind of dip her beak to 'force' her..
separate her from everyone else so she can't spread the sickness.
make sure she gets lots of rest, and if it seems really bad, get some chicken medication.

make sure she gets some fresh water with a couple drops of apple cider vinegar - it might help.
I usually recommend curd to help kill bacteria and strengthen her overall body system. If she doesn't want it, then kind of dip her beak to 'force' her..
separate her from everyone else so she can't spread the sickness.
make sure she gets lots of rest, and if it seems really bad, get some chicken medication.
I did separate her for observation. She does seem to want to just sleep. Was not sure if that was a cause for concern. I did provide her with fresh water with some ACV. I think I caught her drinking some, but I'll dip her beaks to be sure.

Can you elaborate on curd? I don't think what is coming to my mind is what you're talking about.

Thank you!

On this episode my young Jersey White Giant doesn't appear to be eating.
Has she been ill, or 'off', before this?

Before you start feeding her weird stuff.....
What do all and how exactly do you usually feed?
Is she eating and drinking on her own?
Stick with a good chicken ration and plain water.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off'
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Has she been ill, or 'off', before this?

Before you start feeding her weird stuff.....
What do all and how exactly do you usually feed?
Is she eating and drinking on her own?
Stick with a good chicken ration and plain water.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off'
I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor:
-their intake of food and water,
-crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed),
-and their poops.
Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
This is the first time she's been off. She's usually our leader, very inquisitive. When I realized something was wrong the other birds were off foraging and she was hanging back, just sleeping.

So we feed mixed grains in the morning and afternoon, which she is usually all about, but did not partake in. Her crop was empty. Aside from that they are free to roam the yard so I would say diet is primarily comprised of bugs and grass.

This morning she did drink and I gave her some chicken starter feed we had left over. It's medicated with dewormer.

Her poops seemed normal this morning. And she seems excited when I come out to the yard, but if I observe her from inside she just puffs herself up and sleeps.

This is the first time she's been off. She's usually our leader, very inquisitive. When I realized something was wrong the other birds were off foraging and she was hanging back, just sleeping.

So we feed mixed grains in the morning and afternoon, which she is usually all about, but did not partake in. Her crop was empty. Aside from that they are free to roam the yard so I would say diet is primarily comprised of bugs and grass.

This morning she did drink and I gave her some chicken starter feed we had left over. It's medicated with dewormer.

Her poops seemed normal this morning. And she seems excited when I come out to the yard, but if I observe her from inside she just puffs herself up and sleeps.
I checked near her vent it feels firm, neither squishy nor what I would consider hard. Found some more poops from last night that have some red spots in them.
20210507_102710.jpg 20210507_102717.jpg

Back
Top Bottom