1. backwoods901

backwoods901 Just Hatched

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    Question before I start this idea, I currently have 3 rhode island reds and 3 leg horns I am going to be increasing my flock number soon. I have an old f100 I was thinking to save cost right now to convert it into a coop. I am planning on rubberizing the floor insulating it from draft. Would this work? My ladies have an approximate 30x 30 run for the day and they have other shelters for rain.

2. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    [​IMG]

3. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    [​IMG]

4. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    [​IMG]

5. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    [​IMG]
    These are the new Ladies minus the two barred rocks and one of the silver laced Wyandotte. We got three Austrolops and 3 silver laced Wyandotte

6. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    [​IMG]

This is my youngest watching the new ones. Right before my wife caught the leg horns who flew over the fence to visit the new ones. We gave the new Ladies a chance to run coming from the coop and we put our older ones out in the fenced In grassy we have for them

7. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    [​IMG]
    My six year old helping me work on the new coop for them.

8. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    [​IMG]

This is how far we made it today with the new coop. The roof is also 3/4 of the way shingled I ran out almost had enough. All the wood except the plywood is from the habitat store. I secured the wood to the truck bed using wood to metal self taping screws. I used caulking along the bottom of the plywood and will for the siding to help keep moisture out (reclaimed siding to). The top gaps were filled with the expandable foam only accessible from the outside none inside. The next part is finishing the back which will have vents near the top then onto the door. It has been a fun family project with the kids and a battle at times between me and the wife deciding how it was going to go.

9. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    LOL! I know "those" battles well. [​IMG] Looking good so far. I love coops that are built using "not your typical coop materials." Are you planning on placing the bed back on the frame so you can move the coop around?

10. backwoods901

Sep 14, 2016
    Eastern nc
    I was going to but not anymore, brother is using the frame as the start to his new goat house/ rooster den. So now it sits where it sits but it is all ok so far seems to be perfect where it is. I will be away for a week but im planing of finishing it next weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by