Truck topper

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Feb 28, 2012.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My hubby has a 2000 Dodge Dakota pickup, bed size is 91 x 64 and we are having a hard time finding toppers or what will work with our truck bed.

People say its a 8 foot and have NO idea if it would fit the Dakota.

Can you give us some tips, advices and suggestions? We would prefer to buy it used, fiberglass, NO steel or aluminum.

would the truck S10 topper work on the Dakota?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Dont know what will work but an 8 foot bed will hold a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood. Not happening in a 91 inch bed without opening the tailgate.

3. Young Farmer

Young Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Bedford NH
    Go to a junk yard and look some time they have them.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I have been looking for a truck topper also. So far I have found several on Craigs List but none have fit. Also, look in the telephone book for business that sell truck toppers because they usually have a small inventoiry of used ones. If you can find a good used one it is worth it.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I went out with hubby, yep it was close to 81 inches, end to end. So obviously it is a six foot wide bed. With the 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, we woudl have to put down the tailgate.

We looked at Leer toppers, YIKES! They want anywhere from $800 to a thousand for a good used to new. No sliding, no special features, just a plain Jane topper would cost that much!

Craiglist did have a few but none of them would fit the Dakota size. Oh our Dakota has a regular cab, not extended and of the Sport series.

Planning on going camping with it without all those nylon camping things, something it can be stored in without getting wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by