'True Ameraucana' hatching eggs on MPC??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Ok, I can't get more chickens at the moment but I can't seem to keep myself from browsing. Anycase, was thinking about hatching whatever chicks I get next time so I was going though the fertile eggs on MPC. And what do my eyes spy... 'True Ameraucana' blue hatching eggs! Has anyone gotten these? If so, are you're birds breed standard, and if not how close are they??? It'll probably be a long while before I can get more but I just can't resist asking...

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    There are a lot of pure amerecauna sellers here on BYC. Probably a better bet. But I have a feeling they are just "pure EE's" [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    That's the thing; they list EE's seperatly and SPECIFY that these are true Ameraucana's and not EEs. 'Blue True Ameraucana' They even state the percentages of colors that you're likely to get from the hatching. I'm just curious because no other big hatcheries offer. I know hatcheries are typically not the best quality birds but curiosity is killing me.

4. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I am pretty sure I heard that Gabbard Farms supplies MPC with their Ameraucana eggs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Gabbard Farm does ship their Ameraucana eggs...I agree you would be better off getting some eggs from breeders on here or buy some chicks from one of them. I noticed on their breed lists that describes the breeds and has pics the Ameraucana one has an EE pictured as a true..oops

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Ameraucana AND Araucana breeder right here. [​IMG]

As for MPC's Ameraucana eggs. Yes, they're real, far as I've seen people show me. But the problem is that they get them from Gabbard Farms, who is just another hatchery except they only sell hatching eggs, so they pass off to newbies as a breeder. Thus, the egg color is rather poor, more on the khaki side.

As for the bird, conformationally to the standard, I would think they're on the poor side. Again, both Gabbard and MPC are hatchery type companies, so they're not breeding for quality - They're breeding for egg quantity. [​IMG] But of course I'd love to see someone prove me wrong with photos of their stock from MPC, showing me an APA-correct Ameraucana.

7. Sueg4332

Sueg4332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Ceres, California
    I bought some egges here But the color blue was no darker than my EEs blue eggs in fact some of my ees egges were darker. The picture was brillent blue.
    waiting to see if I get chicks the frist Saturday of next the month.
    One thing I learnt was how to photograph eggs. Took pictures of my home grown eggs in the shade about 5 pm they looked dark blue I am learning. Been looking local for beautiful dark blue eggs. But when I get to see them they are no darker than mine. Or green.
    So buyer beware

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:Ameraucana AND Araucana breeder right here. [​IMG]

As for MPC's Ameraucana eggs. Yes, they're real, far as I've seen people show me. But the problem is that they get them from Gabbard Farms, who is just another hatchery except they only sell hatching eggs, so they pass off to newbies as a breeder. Thus, the egg color is rather poor, more on the khaki side.

As for the bird, conformationally to the standard, I would think they're on the poor side. Again, both Gabbard and MPC are hatchery type companies, so they're not breeding for quality - They're breeding for egg quantity. [​IMG] But of course I'd love to see someone prove me wrong with photos of their stock from MPC, showing me an APA-correct Ameraucana.

do you sell your eggs and chicks? I would really love to start araucanas I read in the breed page they are really hard to breed is this true?

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I do sell eggs.

They're a challenge to breed, yes, because of the rumplessness. Also, people have a fear of the lethal tufted gene problem, but that can be solved by not breeding tufted x tufted birds. A lot of people try and solve problems by trimming vent feathers to allow a better ability to fertilize eggs.

My Araucanas and even where I got them from have yet to have bad fertility problems.

As for the "Buyer Beware" comment, well of course. [​IMG] There are plenty Ameraucana breeders with khaki colored eggs, and Araucana breeders with khaki/green eggs. My own Araucanas came from stock with a few laying greenish blue eggs. I don't breed those. Also, some lay a lighter blue egg. Well in reality, often a lighter blue vs a darker blue is actually a "bluer" egg. A robin's egg color is actually not purely blue, and has some green in it. Getting just the color you want can indeed be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by