True Ameraucana: How many wks old to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mediazeal, Feb 13, 2010.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Do any of you have true ameraucanas and can tell me about how old they were when they started laying? Mine is 22 weeks and I want to know when I can start hoping for a blue egg!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Ameraucana's take a long time to start laying...30 weeks PLUS sometimes. If they lay before 28-30 weeks your doing good [​IMG] Hope they lay a pretty blue egg for you! Share pics and let us know when they start laying.

ShawnIGGYmama and kittyo74 like this.
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good to know. I'm getting some true ameraucana's this week. [​IMG]

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Quote:So I have 2 months to go yet.
    thanks you! [​IMG]

5. Peke's Poultry

Peke's Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Mine are 25 weeks and 2 of the 3 just started laying. The girls are still pretty small and their eggs are small too, but in the first week I got 6 eggs! I had heard that if they reach laying age in the fall, they may not start until spring, so I wasn't hopeful about getting any blue eggs this year.

6. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I bought some true Ameraucanas from Cloverleaf Farm in Canby, Oregon; they're 22-weeks old now and not even close to laying. Even my Easter Eggers have all laid late with 26-weeks being the earliest and 32-weeks the latest. (It was a lovely surprise to discover that two of my EE's lay beautiful sky-blue eggs; the rest lay various shades of blue-green).

junebuggena likes this.
  7. mrsteiner

mrsteiner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Davison, MI
    I have two Ameraucanas that began laying at about 24 weeks. They laid beautiful blue eggs until about a month ago when the days got shorter and they have both stopped laying. I added some light in my coop about a week ago and hope they will start laying again--no eggs yet tho.

8. msf

msf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I have 2 that were hatched xMay 24th and got the first egg from one of them yesterday. It has a paper thin shell that indented when I picked it up, and was not green...yet. Michael

[​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have never seen or heard of an Ameraucana's eggs changing from brown to green. But maybe...

mbw714 likes this.
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:You have an Easter Egger. Pure Ameraucana's only lay blue.

mbw714 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by