1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

True Araucana babies--what will we grow up to be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by iopele, May 20, 2007.

1. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Hi everyone! I received my order of true standard-size Araucanas from Nancy Utterback and have 10 babies that made the journey. She included one blue chick that's absolutely gorgeous! I'm curious about the black and white babies, though. Will these guys grow up to be silver or splash or solid black? Anyone know? Here are some pics:

This is Domino, the only one with a name so far!
    [​IMG]

A couple of others without so much white on their faces:
    [​IMG]

A good pic showing the facial differences between Domino and the others:
    [​IMG]

I don't know if you can see in these pictures, but they've all got mottled black and white beaks and all but Domino have mottled legs--Domino's are solid orange.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, whaddya think? Will these guys grow up to be solid black? Silver? Splash? Impossible to tell? I know I'll find out soon enough, but right now I'm just dying of curiosity!

And here's a pic of my blue just because it's gorgeous! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  3. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks for the links, Angie! Those are some gorgeous birds--I'm sad I don't have any of the BBR type, they're SO flashy! I wish I could find some pics of what the fluffy babies look like beside what they grew up to be, but I can't seem to find any. Looks like maybe I'll have to make that site myself, huh? [​IMG]

I've been so happy with these babies, I just can't hardly stand it. As they grow (and they won't even been a week old until tomorrow!) more tufts are becoming obvious. I've got several bilaterally tufted birds, whoo hoo! Guess I'll just have to have patience to find out what they're going to be when they grow up, huh?

Patience! I'm so not good at that. [​IMG] LOL!

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Are you going to breed them? I think tufts are so cute on chickens, and the little tailless rumps are to die for. [​IMG]

5. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Yes, Angie, that's the plan--they were so very hard to find, and I understand the breed is on the verge of the endangered list, so I'm going to try and breed them. Not sure if I'll ever show them, but I'm having fun observing the tufts (they love to have them stroked when I'm holding the chicks) and guessing who's a boy and who's a girl... and here's hoping that I have some of both, lol! Wouldn't that be just my luck to end up with all one or the other?

6. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd guess they'll all turn out solid black. I could be wrong though -- I don't raise the black variety. [​IMG]

7. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks, Anne--and btw I've been to your site many times looking at the pictures. Your birds are GORGEOUS. I'm sad I don't have any BBR or duckwing babies because yours are so very very pretty!

8. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I can't remember where I heard this but I believe your supposed to breed tufted to non-tufted because of a lethal gene problem. Not sure where I heard that. But if you find anything about it let me know. I will look as well. I just can't remember where I heard that.

Arklady

9. iopele

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    You're right, Arklady. The tufted gene is a lethal gene and if they get two copies of it, they die in the shell. You can breed two tufted birds and you'll get more tufted babies than if you breed one tufted and one nontufted, but half the babies will die in the shell. That's why it's good to have some clean-headed birds around too!

10. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Quote:Thanks for visiting the site! Very glad you like the pics, and thank you for the compliment on the birds. [​IMG] I love Araucanas in all varieties -- looks like you'll have some gorgeous blacks to show off soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by