True Araucana babies--what will we grow up to be?

iopele

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Texas
Hi everyone! I received my order of true standard-size Araucanas from Nancy Utterback and have 10 babies that made the journey. She included one blue chick that's absolutely gorgeous! I'm curious about the black and white babies, though. Will these guys grow up to be silver or splash or solid black? Anyone know? Here are some pics:

This is Domino, the only one with a name so far!
IMAG0050.jpg

A couple of others without so much white on their faces:
IMAG0053.jpg

A good pic showing the facial differences between Domino and the others:
IMAG0060.jpg

I don't know if you can see in these pictures, but they've all got mottled black and white beaks and all but Domino have mottled legs--Domino's are solid orange.

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

So, whaddya think? Will these guys grow up to be solid black? Silver? Splash? Impossible to tell? I know I'll find out soon enough, but right now I'm just dying of curiosity!

And here's a pic of my blue just because it's gorgeous!
big_smile.png

IMAG0079.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the links, Angie! Those are some gorgeous birds--I'm sad I don't have any of the BBR type, they're SO flashy! I wish I could find some pics of what the fluffy babies look like beside what they grew up to be, but I can't seem to find any. Looks like maybe I'll have to make that site myself, huh?
big_smile.png

I've been so happy with these babies, I just can't hardly stand it. As they grow (and they won't even been a week old until tomorrow!) more tufts are becoming obvious. I've got several bilaterally tufted birds, whoo hoo! Guess I'll just have to have patience to find out what they're going to be when they grow up, huh?

Patience! I'm so not good at that.
barnie.gif
LOL!

Yes, Angie, that's the plan--they were so very hard to find, and I understand the breed is on the verge of the endangered list, so I'm going to try and breed them. Not sure if I'll ever show them, but I'm having fun observing the tufts (they love to have them stroked when I'm holding the chicks) and guessing who's a boy and who's a girl... and here's hoping that I have some of both, lol! Wouldn't that be just my luck to end up with all one or the other?

Thanks, Anne--and btw I've been to your site many times looking at the pictures. Your birds are GORGEOUS. I'm sad I don't have any BBR or duckwing babies because yours are so very very pretty!

I can't remember where I heard this but I believe your supposed to breed tufted to non-tufted because of a lethal gene problem. Not sure where I heard that. But if you find anything about it let me know. I will look as well. I just can't remember where I heard that.

Arklady

You're right, Arklady. The tufted gene is a lethal gene and if they get two copies of it, they die in the shell. You can breed two tufted birds and you'll get more tufted babies than if you breed one tufted and one nontufted, but half the babies will die in the shell. That's why it's good to have some clean-headed birds around too!

Quote:
Thanks for visiting the site! Very glad you like the pics, and thank you for the compliment on the birds.
smile.png
I love Araucanas in all varieties -- looks like you'll have some gorgeous blacks to show off soon!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom