True Araucanas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarolJ, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I recently bought three 4-month old "Araucanas" which were actually Easter Eggers - despite the description from the seller. From reading posts here, it seems that the chicks sold by hatcheries as Araucanas are almost always EE's instead. While I love my EE's and am looking forward to the eggs they'll start laying soon, I'd also like to have some true Araucanas someday. I can't add to my flock right now - but a few months down the road, where should I look to find the real thing for sale? I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    True Araucanas, from what I know as a newbie, have to be bought directly from a breeder. You can try to find on craiglist, but again if they aren't a breeder, u still might end up with EE's. There is an online auction on the BYC page that u could try or ask at ur local feed store if they know any breeders, or do a search on here and see if any breeders r on here and close to u. Good luck! They r beautiful birds!

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    There are a few good quality breeders of True Rumpless Araucanas here on BYC. Also there are breeders of True Ameraucanas as well. Ill find there name and edit my post as I find them. Are you looking for Hatching Eggs, Chicks, or Grown Birds.

Araucanas:
    Wilds of pa
    Birch Run Farm
    Amazondoc

Ameraucanas:
    Bargin
    Pips&Peeps
    Birch Run Farm

Check the auctions and also look in Breeds, Genetics, and Showing Thread.

Nate

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    If you go to the Breeds Genetics and showing part of this website and look for the Araucana anyone thread. There are a few of us on there that breed raise show and sell true araucanas.

Here is a couple pics of a few of my birds. You can also go to my website www.cashsblueeggs.com and see some of my birds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lanae

5. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    OMG I LOVE your birds! If only hatcheries sold them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by