True Blue Eggs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StephensonC, Nov 15, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I have one hen that is laying blue eggs(the inside shell is also blue). I got her from a local sale and was told she was an Olive Egger. She has blackish/grey feet and legs, has muffs and a pea comb. Could I actually have a true Ameraucana? What else will produce true blue eggs? I'm new to chicken keeping and have no idea and all the info on the internet is confusing me more. Here is a picture of her egg.
    [​IMG]

2. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    I have a Plymouth Rock/Easter Egger hen who also lays blue eggs. She is very much a barnyard Heinz mix. No broodiness though [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Anything is possible but it is highly unlikely. This chart is the best I’ve seen as far as something simple to show the characteristics she would have to meet to be considered a true Ameraucana. Just for fun I’ll include the history of Ameraucanas. I find it pretty interesting and it helps correct some general misconceptions about EE’s, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas.

EE/Ameraucana/Araucana comparison
    http://apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Easter Eggers vs.pdf

Ameraucana History
    http://www.ameraucana.org/history.html

A blue egg is caused by genetics. A hen does not have to be true Ameraucana or Araucana to lay a blue egg. I have some barnyard mixed chickens with a couple laying eggs that are pretty close to pure blue. Breed is about a whole lot more than just egg shell color.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If she is laying blue eggs, she is definitely not an olive egger, but she is very unlikely to be a true Ameraucana either. She is likely an Easter Egger.

6. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I know that's what's crazy. I also bought what was called an "Ameraucana", but turns out, she lays olive green eggs. Haha That's not possible, right?
    It's obvious that some people don't even know what they are selling, or are just down right lying.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    No, a true Ameraucana will always lay blue eggs. Your "Ameraucana" is actually an Olive Egger (an Easter Egger hybrid with one blue egg gene parent and one chocolate egg gene parent).

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by