TRUE BREED?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AreYouLoved, Feb 9, 2012.

1. AreYouLoved

AreYouLoved Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Norman OKLAHOMA
    TURKENS...

For the sake of discussion lets say Turkens had full feathers on their neck..
    What true breed would they really be? What breed were they developed from?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Samantha in OK

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Who knows! No one is really positive where they really originated from. Some say Hungary and some say Romania (Transylvania).

Actually (just learned this myself) that they are actuall called Naked NEcks (Turken is a term people started using to describe the look of them { thinking they were a turkey-chicken cross]).

3. That is a REALLY good question! And I haven't a clue.

Lisa

4. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley

Madagascar Games, I think. But I don't think I fully understand the question.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they had feathers on their neck, they would be poor quality Turkens. Not another breed.

6. AreYouLoved

AreYouLoved Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Norman OKLAHOMA
    That is not my point. There were not always Turkens...They had to start with some other breed.

7. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I think what the OP is asking is what breed or breeds the naked neck mutation originated in. Like we know most chickens with the scaleless gene originated in a flock of New Hampshire Reds (if my memory serves correctly). Or like the gene for frizzled feathers seems to have originated in cochins (I am assuming that's where it started anyway since cochins are the most commonly frizzled breed). Or the gene for silkied feathers has occured randomly in several breeds without any cross breeding that we are aware of.

Short answer, I don't know. For all I know the gene popped up in a couple of barnyard mixes and someone decided to breed for that trait specifically.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's probably it - Some sort of landrace in a village that popped up with the trait, or even an American breed, and they went on from there.

TRUE purebred Naked Necks that conform to the SOP are much like American class breeds, so I wouldn't be surprised if they originated from such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by