True Cinnamon Queens wanted... Anybody know where?

Peep_Show

Free Ranging
14 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Corrales, NM
Here's a Holy Grail quest if ever there was one. I'm looking for *true* Cinnamon Queens, a New Hampshire roo x SLW hen. The big hatcheries advertise CQ's, but they are not true CQ's. Cackle has red x white birds they're selling as CQ's and when I inquired at Purely Poultry as to what the parent breeding stock was on their CQ's the reply I got was "There's no specific breeding stock. They're Cinnamon Queens." Another hatchery a few pages back on a google search advertised CQ eggs, but when we spoke he said his CQ's were just plain ol' RSL and that he had never heard of anyone crossing a New Hampshire with SLW. Great.

I'd breed my own, but we've got space limitations on how many birds to own and I think a roo would drive my hinky neighbor over the edge, although -- no doubt -- there'd be a market for true Cinnamon Queens/CQ hatching eggs. I'm looking for chicks, but ideally I'd like hatching eggs. Anybody? Somebody please point me in the right direction.

These birds are scarcer than hens teeth!

I'll see if I can find the chart here in BYC, but there's a breakdown of what breeds the specific names are. For instance, under RSL's there are many different combination of what the birds are, so that Comets are not the same as CQ's or ISA Browns.

Common Red Sexlink Crosses

Red sexlinks are the result of crossing a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male over White Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island White, Silver Laced Wyandotte, or Delaware females.
Specific crosses: a New Hampshire male is crossed with White Rocks with the silver factor to produce the Golden Comet. New Hampshire males crossed with Silver Laced Wyandottes gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White, and Production Red x Delaware. These two crosses are simply called Red Sexlinks.
Generally, red sexlink males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some red or black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways: buff with white or tinted undercolor (such as Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White); red with white or tinted undercolor (Cinnamon Queen); red with red undercolor (Production Red x Delaware).

I agree, I personally like the golden comet. Finding "true" bloodlines is nearly impossible. I met a man in Oklahoma who was breeding and selling all across craigslist several years ago about the wonder chicken breed he had bought off the Amish and was making available to the public. They laid huge eggs, he had pictures, laid an egg a day and sometimes more, laid all thru winter, etc. The golden comet. I was so excited, a provider of golden comet that didn't come from a hatchery where I had to order a ton. I drove 2 hours to get some, to find that his parent stock were none other than golden comet! Which of course means they don 't breed true. I explained all of the factors of a sex link chicken, etc etc etc to him. I am sure while I was there that he didn't believe me about that, but the craigslist ad did come down about a week later. I have sense learned to ask about breeding stock as well. And they "owner" at purely poultry seems to know nothing about chickens either.

Last year I called Cackle and they said their CQ was NH x SLW but I watched their breeding flock youtube video and that is not what I see. Makes me wonder what mine are that I got from them. Starting this year I am breeding my own CQ.

When you read the Cinnamon Queen Breed Information at the Cackle Hatchery website the last line states they're a RIR x RIW cross, which is what the video looks like.

Last edited:
Starting this year I am breeding my own CQ.

Well, if you decide you want to sell some hatching eggs, please keep me in mind! That is, provided they're NHR x SLW.
jumpy.gif

When you read the Cinnamon Queen Breed Information at the Cackle Hatchery website the last line states they're a RIR x RIW cross, which is what the video looks like.
You are correct, that is what the video shows and what the website says. That is not what they told me two years ago. So they are simply selling sex links as cinnamon queens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom