True Rumpless Araucana mating issue is AI the only option?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AHappychick, Apr 12, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well the title says it all. I finally got to witness my Alabaster mating or trying to and he is not doing it right. He strugles to mount them and does his thing but above the hens tail, not below. Is there a way to show him or correct the issue? would it be better if he was with chickens his size or smaller? Becuase he is smaller than the hens at the moment. Or is AI my only option, and if I did AI then would I only have to do it once a month or every 3 weeks?

I really need him for breeding otherwise I would let him just be but he is my only mature roo and the perfect personality for breeding, such a sweet fella [​IMG]

I am hoping to get a few more ladies that are true rumpless Araucanas as well so far I only have one chick that is and dont know its sex. So if anyone has any please let me know, but I am only interested if the eggs are a real strong blue color not green.

here is my beauty [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    if he is a new roo it will take him a while to get good at it

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well he was living with only other roos before i got him, but it has been over a month since he has been with the flock so how long does it take to figure it all out?

4. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    It took my stallion most of the breeding season to finally figure it out lol. I didnt think he figured it out, but we had a filly born the next summer (much to my surprise.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by